Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Rattle when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2018, 10:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle when going over bumps

I have a 05 equinox awd. Whenever I drive over any slight bump, it feels like my car is going to fall apart. Can only feel in front and not back. What could be causing this?
Old August 24th, 2018, 12:13 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabooloo14
I have a 05 equinox awd. Whenever I drive over any slight bump, it feels like my car is going to fall apart. Can only feel in front and not back. What could be causing this?
It could be a few things. The most likely cause is bad front sway bar end links. The links can pass the wiggle test and still be bad. I've seen this firsthand a few times. If they have never been replaced before, this is a good place to start.

The next thing to check are the rear bushings in the front control arms. GM issued a TSB applicable to 2005-2007 Equinox that addresses rattling in the frond end when driving slowly on rough roads. The TSB says the fix is revised front control arm rear bushings and specifies part number 25823014 for the revised bushings. That part number has since been replaced by part number 25919637.

The ball joints could be bad, but those usually cause a popping sound when accelerating hard from a stop or braking hard.

One last thing could be a worn intermediate steering shaft (the part that links the steering column to the rack). If the noise goes away when holding steering pressure in either direction when going over bumps, this is probably your problem and the intermediate steering shaft assembly would need to be replaced because the U-joints are not serviceable.