Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Sinking Money into a Lemon!

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sinking Money into a Lemon!

I got my 2010 Equinox LTZ slightly used in 2011 (worst car buying decision ever). It has 60,000 miles on it now. The mechanic tells me the A/C is going out and there's a part on the motor that needs to be replaced at a total cost of $2500. We've been going to them for 20 years so this isn't something they would lie about. We're a military family and we can't afford to sink money into a car that won't be reliable for us. We want to trade it in just to break even but with the problems, we're going to be under water if we try to do that! I will never ever buy a GM made product ever again! I'm posting on this forum and every other forum I can find to let others know that this car is a lemon and we were duped as consumers!! My tax dollars went into bailing this company out and I think others would agree it was clearly a mistake.
Old April 16th, 2013, 7:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Bailing out GM wasn't yours or mine decision, we just footed the bill, not saying I agree with it either. You have 2010 is there any warrenty left in it? I'd ask for you to post "what part" is going out the mechanic thinks need replaced.
Old April 16th, 2013, 8:11 PM
CF Junior Member

$2500 seems a bit steep.
Old April 17th, 2013, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

I realize it wasn't our decision and I didn't mean to make it into a political post. I was extremely angry yesterday. But it does seem odd that right after the government bails them out, they start making cheap crap to stay above water. Anyways, the mechanic said the timing chain and the timing chain compressor are going out. It makes a weird raspy rattle when the car is on. He did mention he doesn't know how much longer that has until it fails completely. Also, the A/C compressor is going bad and he said it won't last until summer. Before I bought this car, we put a lot of research into it because like everyone else, we are on a budget. We were looking to stay with an American car maker that was reliable. I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of the car after only having it for 3 years. Our mechanic says if it were him, he would trade the car in now. He sees it being a potential money pit. And as I stated earlier, being a military family, we don't have that kind of cash to be throwing away on a car that could breakdown at any minute. At this point, even if it were under warranty, they would just fix it and I would be on edge waiting for the next part to break. I've lost faith in GM as a company and I'm leaning towards jumping ship now. On a side note, I posted this whole rant on facebook and 2 other friends have had to trade in their 2010/2011 Equinox! They made a lemon. Period.
Old April 17th, 2013, 3:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by eb1021
I realize it wasn't our decision and I didn't mean to make it into a political post. I was extremely angry yesterday. But it does seem odd that right after the government bails them out, they start making cheap crap to stay above water. Anyways, the mechanic said the timing chain and the timing chain compressor are going out. It makes a weird raspy rattle when the car is on. He did mention he doesn't know how much longer that has until it fails completely. Also, the A/C compressor is going bad and he said it won't last until summer. Before I bought this car, we put a lot of research into it because like everyone else, we are on a budget. We were looking to stay with an American car maker that was reliable. I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of the car after only having it for 3 years. Our mechanic says if it were him, he would trade the car in now. He sees it being a potential money pit. And as I stated earlier, being a military family, we don't have that kind of cash to be throwing away on a car that could breakdown at any minute. At this point, even if it were under warranty, they would just fix it and I would be on edge waiting for the next part to break. I've lost faith in GM as a company and I'm leaning towards jumping ship now. On a side note, I posted this whole rant on facebook and 2 other friends have had to trade in their 2010/2011 Equinox! They made a lemon. Period.
The mechanical timing components should be covered under the 5 year/100K mile powertrain warranty; unless of course there are over 100K miles on the vehicle. I also agree that there's no way changing some timing components should cost $2500; maybe $1000 tops and even that is a very conservative estimate.

Last edited by ruley73; April 17th, 2013 at 3:14 PM.
Old April 17th, 2013, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

2500 was the max cost for both the timing chain, timing chain tensioner, and the A/C condenser. That includes parts and labor.
Old August 5th, 2013, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Why did I buy an American Brand... what was I thinking
Bought a new car in August 2010 - chrevrolet 2011 equinox..45000 miles

it quit giving cold air after a trip from LI to PA. I lived in NY, only use AC in the summer.
the AC is having problems... $$$ paid the the mechanic becuase it was a very small lick.. ok fixed that... one week later AC no working again.

My equinox ran out of freon too soon. I had to put freon 4 times already in the last month.
Any suggestions?
Old August 6th, 2013, 9:19 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

myequinox,

I am sorry you are having this concern with your equinox. I would like to look into this further for you. Have you been into your local GM dealership for this concern?

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Myequinox, my best advice is to get out now. Sell it and use the money for a down payment on a new (non Chevy) car. That's what I did and it was the best decision by far. Good luck!!
Old October 19th, 2013, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2.4 balance chain

I bought 2010 2.4 used from a gm dealer 2/2013. In 7/2013 got a letter from Chevrolet. Not a recall but informing me about a potential problem with balance chain and fuel pump seal. The letter stated additional protection for these problems. 10 years or 120,000 miles.