Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

T/C light and loss of forward motion/power in 2005 Chevy Equinox. EGR valve???

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2018, 3:27 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T/C light and loss of forward motion/power in 2005 Chevy Equinox. EGR valve???

When I shifted into Drive after backing out of my driveway and it lost power. I put it in reverse it was fine, then when I put it in drive again the T/C light came on. (Traction Control light). I have had no problems with my T/C coming on in the past, even though my check engine light has come on more often lately. I thought at first it was my transmission as it would only creep forward very slowly. I had to push the accelerator more to get it to move forward, yet it wasn't revving the engine more.

I have no way to get codes but read that a faulty EGR valve may be all that is needed. Please advise. I would like to replace it myself if that is the case.

Last edited by Cindinw; January 25th, 2018 at 3:30 PM.
Old January 25th, 2018, 8:10 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cindinw
When I shifted into Drive after backing out of my driveway and it lost power. I put it in reverse it was fine, then when I put it in drive again the T/C light came on. (Traction Control light). I have had no problems with my T/C coming on in the past, even though my check engine light has come on more often lately. I thought at first it was my transmission as it would only creep forward very slowly. I had to push the accelerator more to get it to move forward, yet it wasn't revving the engine more.

I have no way to get codes but read that a faulty EGR valve may be all that is needed. Please advise. I would like to replace it myself if that is the case.
Is your Equinox AWD or just FWD? A new EGR valve will not fix the problem. Do you hear any noises when trying to drive forward? I suspect one of the front CV halfshafts is broken because it seems to be a somewhat common issue with the early models, but this would only be likely if your Equinox has AWD. A FWD Equinox can't move at all with a broken halfshaft because the transmission uses an open differential (like most other FWD vehicles).

​With AWD though, the computer will likely interpret the one front wheel not spinning as slippage and engage AWD. The rear wheels alone are able to propel the vehicle, but the way the AWD is setup, only part of the engine's output can be transferred to the rear wheels. This is why it seems to have reduced power.