Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Throttle Body ???

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2019, 10:31 AM
ole
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body ???

I have a 2007 Equinox with 105,000. on it now. Can anyone tell me about how long the throttle body/tps on average last on these engines. .
I would like to remove mine and clean it, or just replace now?
Old March 31st, 2019, 12:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
I have a 2007 Equinox with 105,000. on it now. Can anyone tell me about how long the throttle body/tps on average last on these engines. .
I would like to remove mine and clean it, or just replace now?

Throttle bodies can last a LONG time. 105K ain't nothing. I've ran Chevy's way out past 300k.and could have gone even more. You can spend $100 bucks on a new one or you can try to clean/ rebuild his one. What kind of issues are you having?
Old March 31st, 2019, 4:17 PM
ole
CF Junior Member

Thanks

I'm not having any issues with the engine or throttle body other then I'm still chasing a persistent P0420 code, It's running really nice.

I was thinking I would try removing the throttle body and cleaning it to see if it would help with the P0420 code when I saw a new Delco

throttle body on ebay for $68.00 for this engine. Ill keep my money and clean it and see what happens for now. Recently replaced EGR valve with a new delco part with no affect on P0420. We have put about 5000 miles on it since we purchased it, Don't know whats been done in the past so I don't mind replacing parts, at least now I know what has been done. Like I said it is running really good and my daughter just love it.
Old March 31st, 2019, 5:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

(neither throttle body or EGR valve are possible causes of your code)
Old March 31st, 2019, 7:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
Thanks

I'm not having any issues with the engine or throttle body other then I'm still chasing a persistent P0420 code, It's running really nice.

I was thinking I would try removing the throttle body and cleaning it to see if it would help with the P0420 code when I saw a new Delco

throttle body on ebay for $68.00 for this engine. Ill keep my money and clean it and see what happens for now. Recently replaced EGR valve with a new delco part with no affect on P0420. We have put about 5000 miles on it since we purchased it, Don't know whats been done in the past so I don't mind replacing parts, at least now I know what has been done. Like I said it is running really good and my daughter just love it.
Mountainmanjoe is correct. Your issue is with the Catalytic Converter, the 02 sensors or something along those lines. The throttle body is not your issue Ole.
Old March 31st, 2019, 8:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

There is no need to replace the throttle body unless you are getting some trouble codes. I would remove the throttle body and thoroughly clean it. Just make sure you don't turn on the ignition key while the throttle body is removed & unplugged and you shouldn't have any trouble. You will not need a new throttle body mounting gasket, but you will need to remove the three studs to get the throttle body off because of a bracket for a coolant bypass hose.

The OP is well aware of possible causes for P0420. 😃

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...dations-92397/

Last edited by ruley73; March 31st, 2019 at 8:49 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 12:46 PM
ole
CF Junior Member

Are the 3 studs difficult to remove?
Old April 2nd, 2019, 4:43 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ole
Are the 3 studs difficult to remove?
No, not at all. The studs have a torx/star head (guessing E5 or E6), but a regular 4mm hex socket will work.

After reinstalling the throttlebody, you should perform the Throttle Position Relearn procedure.

1. Start cold engine and let it idle in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. After idling for 3 minutes, turn key OFF for 60 seconds.
3. Restart engine and let it idle for another three minutes.

The idle should be normal after completing this, but it may require additional drive cycles to complete. This was the case for me after I performed it. It idled a little high (around 1200-1500 RPM) after performing the procedure, but returned to normal after driving it normally for a few days.
Old April 26th, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a 2017 Nox last weekend. Did the throttle body cleaning this evening. One of the easier jobs on a modern motor I have done. It was nastier than I wold have guessed for 32K miles, but it is so easy to take off, clean, and install. 5-10 min job, even quicker if one really is in a hurry. I cleaned the MAF at the same time and changed the air filter. Had all that done in 15 minutes. Will probably do it again every 10-15K miles.

I also did a CRC Intake Valve Cleaner procedure at the same time. Now that takes a little longer. About 10-15 minutes to do the treatment and a hour or two letting it heat soak. Then take it out for a drive to finish things up. More than likely will do that every 10-15K miles along with the other stuff. Just to stay on top of the nasty that can be associated with GDI engine designs.

If it ain't broke, don't fix or replace it. Just clean it.

Last edited by Cowpie; April 26th, 2019 at 8:42 PM.