Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

What is your experience with the 4 Cyl Equinox?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my 2011 Equinox. All the GM haters who post poor comments about the beautiful Equinox are full of crap! I have the AWD 4cyl. I presently have 28,000 miles..Next time I might move up to the Chevy Traverse..just because I like the "stance" and size a little better..But for now LOVE MY EQUINOX
Old July 10th, 2012, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default New Equinox

Purchased our 2012 4 cyl. Equinox new in November, 2011. Have 7500 miles on it and absolutely love it. Seems to be an awesome value for $23,500. Love the build quality and inside roominess. The 2.4 cyl is a little underpowered on the highway though. Did purchase a 6 yr, 100k mile extended warranty. Looking forward to 6 to 7 years of service from it.
Old August 25th, 2012, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Glad to hear the good reports. Not everyone is going to be happy.

My company is looking at purchasing either a 2011 or 2012 AWD Nox so I am doing my reading.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 70cst
Glad to hear the good reports. Not everyone is going to be happy.

My company is looking at purchasing either a 2011 or 2012 AWD Nox so I am doing my reading.
My 2012 'Nox continues to perform well. I love the build quality, interior roominess, gas mileage, physical appearance, and overall peroformance of the machine. The computer says I am getting over 26 MPG! And that is with a lot of "stop and go" driving. I did purchase the 6 year 100K warranty because it gives me peace of mind. Doing it all over again, I would still buy this vehicle.
Old August 26th, 2012, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by billboyd1
My 2012 'Nox continues to perform well. I love the build quality, interior roominess, gas mileage, physical appearance, and overall peroformance of the machine. The computer says I am getting over 26 MPG! And that is with a lot of "stop and go" driving. I did purchase the 6 year 100K warranty because it gives me peace of mind. Doing it all over again, I would still buy this vehicle.
Thanks for the vote of confidence...
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

we bought a 2012 LT1 4 cylinder AWD about 2 weeks ago, since that drove it in snow, highway, city traffic, we're very happy with it so far!
Old December 10th, 2012, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

After testing the 4 Cyl I decided to stay with my 2006 Equinox. The 4 cyl might work good for the first 2 - 3 years but after that, you don't know. It's a 4K pound vehicle. Also the 6 cyl is about $5K more so I think is to much money. Beside the so famous ABS sensor problem which I fixed other problems I have experienced are replacement of new hidraulic motor mount, electrical problem related to the fan motor and minor maintenance repairs like brakes, etc. After fixing all of them the car is running great. I put new tires on it and with 75K miles in my Nox I hope to keep the it at least for the life of the new tires. I hope I did a good decision. Only time will tell. Will keep you posted.
Old December 11th, 2012, 5:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default Not too great at 40,000 miles!

Originally Posted by FF1063
I have the 2012 I4 FWD, very happy with my choice. MPG's have been 29-33. Have 4600 miles on it now, no issues to report. I get 600 miles per tank, refills are cheap since I've been driving a 3500 HD Diesel DRW for the last 14 yrs.

I was very happy with my 2012 AWD NOX for the first 20,000 miles or so..Yes they fixed the terrible start up noise twice now..the drive train is getting much more noisy..the hesitation problem is worse..the tech says "Thats how they run" I do not drive my cars hard at all..I even baby my Z06 most of the time. I am very worried about the longevity of this little 4CYL. Sorry to report this because I am a true CHEVY person!
Old December 12th, 2012, 7:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

the 4 cylinder ecotec engine is probably the most reliable engine chevy makes. Don't confuse it for the korean daiwou motors with an e-tec badge.

It very strong internally and rarely have I seen these engines being changed out.

there has been some injection pump issues but nothing big.

If that's how they run, then ask the tech to show you the same characteristic on another nox...if he can't, maybe it time to find a new shop.

Last edited by tech2; December 12th, 2012 at 7:14 PM.
Old December 13th, 2012, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the 4 cylinder ecotec engine is probably the most reliable engine chevy makes. Don't confuse it for the korean daiwou motors with an e-tec badge.

It very strong internally and rarely have I seen these engines being changed out.

there has been some injection pump issues but nothing big.

If that's how they run, then ask the tech to show you the same characteristic on another nox...if he can't, maybe it time to find a new shop.
Well..the tech actually drives his wife's 2010 NOX to work..he showed me that much. Are you a working GM tech?
How can you say that the ecotec is the most reliable engine that Chevy makes..how long has it been in production? Chevy makes some great engines..as you know
My wife's 98 Malibu has the beautifully smooth 2.4 Twin Cam with 150K on it..This 4CYL blows the ecotec away and is much quieter and smoother

Quick Reply: What is your experience with the 4 Cyl Equinox?