Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   '16 Dome light issue (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/16-dome-light-issue-85202/)

StanVan August 24th, 2017 11:26 PM

'16 Dome light issue WTF Now?

I hesitate to ask this, as I know what the first thought will be. My dome light doesn't come on when the door opens. I know about the override switch(not my first Chevy that has this feature). It's still under warranty, so I'm not asking for a solution. I just would like to know if this is a known thing. The switches work, as the chimes go off appropriately, and the light comes on manually. It's quite annoying, but I'm very busy for the next few weeks. Knowing may help it be less annoying.

ChevyVanMan September 10th, 2017 10:38 PM

Where do you think the over ride switch is ? I had same problem on mine, thought I knew too..

Thank you
Kenny

Twscarp September 11th, 2017 6:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ChevyVanMan (Post 343711)
Where do you think the over ride switch is ? I had same problem on mine, thought I knew too..

This is where the switch is on my 2008 Express 1500, from the owners manual.

ChevyVanMan September 11th, 2017 6:27 PM

Thought it was 2016, send a pic of your switch and see if it is the same..

Thank you

Kenny

Twscarp September 11th, 2017 7:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ChevyVanMan (Post 343732)
Thought it was 2016, send a pic of your switch and see if it is the same..

Like the manual says: "The dome light override button is located next to the exterior lamps control."

canucklehead September 11th, 2017 7:33 PM

The on off part of that switch is the upper half of the bezel. The little knob only controls the dim.......the upper half flexes and is the switch.

Twscarp September 11th, 2017 8:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by canucklehead (Post 343736)
The on off part of that switch is the upper half of the bezel. The little knob only controls the dim.......the upper half flexes and is the switch.

Good job canucklehead, I didn't know about the push to depress the top part to turn off the dome lights, push again and the switch comes out and domes come on. The little knob (stalk), will also turn on the dome lights, if rotated all the way clockwise. You have a 2014 Express, is yours the same as mine?

ChevyVanMan September 11th, 2017 8:30 PM

Hey you found it..

Thank you
Kenny

Twscarp September 11th, 2017 8:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyVanMan (Post 343742)
Hey you found it..

Hmmm, I knew where it was located, is your 2016 the same? That was the question.

ChevyVanMan September 11th, 2017 9:24 PM

Yes, I was replying to the original poster.. Chevy dropped the ball on that switch, it took me about 2 hrs to figure it out..
Maybe Stanvan will find it now..

Thank you
Kenny

Twscarp September 11th, 2017 9:35 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyVanMan (Post 343746)
Yes, I was replying to the original poster.. Chevy dropped the ball on that switch, it took me about 2 hrs to figure it out..
Maybe Stanvan will find it now..

I have no idea what StanVan's deal with the switch is, he never said...

IS THE 2008 SWITCH THE SAME AS A 2016 SWITCH??????

canucklehead September 11th, 2017 11:59 PM

Another thread where we all jump in but need more input from the original poster.....lol

As for the 2008 question, I think the interior/dash upgrade was 2011 or something. GM added that nice little camouflaged switch that no one can find.

He said his light comes on manually, and his switches are fine, but does not say if he is referring specifically to the hard to find override switch.
I say no more till he comes back.

StanVan September 20th, 2017 8:43 AM

Sorry to have been absent. I've been in the process of moving. And it has been the move from hell. Some of the stuff hasn't moved since 1954, when my Dad put up his shop.

I am well aware of where the switch is. I truly think it has gone bad. I have found another quirk. So, in moving, I had the dome on manually. After the timeout timer shut the dome off, it seems to work, as long as it manually stays on. I could "kick" it back on by depressing the side door switch, which is normal. But then, I close the doors, and the dome goes out, which it shouldn't because it is manually turned on. Then, I can open the drivers door, get in, close the door, and it acts normally. Once I manually turn it off, it goes back to not working with the doors.

BTW, the side door has the only exposed door switch. I believe all the others are built in to the door latches. I don't know if this is relevant, but I did find it interesting.

StanVan September 27th, 2017 2:13 PM

The plot thickens. I'm in the middle of swapping out the stereo. I have the dash cover off, with all the controls on it disconnected. I sit back and realize I'm bleeding a little, and happen to look up. The damn lights are on. I go and close all but the side door(which has the old style door switch), and then press that switch in. The lights go off. That override switch has to be the culprit.

Opinions?

Twscarp September 27th, 2017 6:45 PM

Originally Posted by StanVan (Post 344520)
The plot thickens. I'm in the middle of swapping out the stereo. I have the dash cover off, with all the controls on it disconnected. I sit back and realize I'm bleeding a little, and happen to look up. The damn lights are on. I go and close all but the side door(which has the old style door switch), and then press that switch in. The lights go off. That override switch has to be the culprit.

Opinions?

Stan, I still don't understand what your original complaint was about the dome lights? Your description today sounds like they are working correctly.

On another note what happened to Teammuir1, he posted 7 days straight, now nothing for 2 days, hope he is OK.

StanVan September 27th, 2017 11:44 PM

The original complaint was that the dome acts as if the override is active. And as soon as I reassembled the dash, it went back to doing it. It confirms, at least in my mind, that the override switch is bad. It was only working correctly as long as the switch was disconnected.

Teammuir1 and I started texting about his situation. Even though our vans are 10 years apart, we were both swapping out the stereo, so we thought the wiring in mine might shed some light on his issues, but it didn't quite work out that way. He posted today.

Teammuir1 October 9th, 2017 4:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I feel silly....
I had no Idea you posted a thread Stan...

there may be a few days I cant reply... but like everything else
when I started in something usually something else pops up... lol
Lucky for me I can start and stop working on my Van anytime
I wish.. so I will post an updated pic for the ones that
are interested.. I do have my radio in.. and Stan and I have been
texting from time to time about our projects....
I know my thead BEST UPGRADES.. has really turned into
a Build thread.. lol
Dont mean to Hi Jack your post STAN lol just thought I would
update... for the fellers...
Stereo is in and works great.. but as you can see I am far from
being done... lol

StanVan November 3rd, 2017 11:35 AM

So I bit the bullet and ordered the switch from Rock. Even though it's under warranty, it was worth the $30.00 to not be without by van for a day. So I put the new one in and the dome lights now work with the doors.

Except now the override doesn't work! I'll take it, but WTF!!!

StanVan November 3rd, 2017 11:43 AM

And now it works just fine. Maybe I wasn't saying the right cuss words. But it proves I was right, the switch was bad.

Teammuir1 November 4th, 2017 3:02 AM

STAN I am glad it worked out for you and it didnt have to cost
all that much .. your time is valuable to you and if $30.oo
was all then you scored.
at least now if someone had this issue all they would have to
do is search Dome Light Issue.. lol.. well if they think about it .. lol

Teammuir1 November 10th, 2017 3:08 PM

Dome Light

Stan
Since this is a Dome light thread.. lol I was curious if you could show me the type of Dome lights you
have in your van... I came across some the other day while I was at the junk yard... ( lol ) of course I
picked them up... but I want to see what your dome lights look like...

StanVan November 10th, 2017 3:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not to be pedantic, but it was a broken dome light thread. But be that as it may, here's a pic of what I have. The middle lights up with the door, and those button switches light up the sides. Neither are very bright. I'm thinking LEDs in the near future.

Teammuir1 November 10th, 2017 4:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thats what I was wondering....
look at these.. lol

StanVan November 10th, 2017 8:42 PM

Short of staggering down to the driveway(it is Friday night Happy Hour, after all), I think there are 3. Which seems weird, seeing as there are(were) 4 seats.

OntheRoad November 28th, 2020 5:36 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Teammuir1 (Post 346840)
STAN I am glad it worked out for you and it didnt have to cost
all that much .. your time is valuable to you and if $30.oo
was all then you scored.
at least now if someone had this issue all they would have to
do is search Dome Light Issue.. lol.. well if they think about it .. lol

it is 3 years later, but thanks. I located the switch.

Black'95 November 29th, 2020 10:10 AM

I had the same problem on my 2018 Express after moving up from my 2001 Express. I would push in the dome override switch and it didn't work until I discovered a couple of months later that it was not the round button but the top section of the rectangle above the round button that was the actual dome light override.The owners manual had me confused with their terminology of "the override button" and the big black arrow they put in the picture so I thought it was the round button. I finally figured out the override switch is the top part of the rectangle and not the round part by the red arrow that I added. The round part is the dash dimmer control and it does lock on the dome light when turned past the click.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...5c4e3286f7.jpg

prt123 April 6th, 2021 11:55 AM

I had the same problem and searched the forum and found this thread. Same switch on the 2010 as pictured above. Now I feel foolish for not pushing the top button. Thanks for the aqassist.

loopedr1 April 10th, 2021 9:01 PM

DAMN..i have 4 vans and i didnt know about that stupid switch.....thanks...

Black'95 April 11th, 2021 9:08 AM

Originally Posted by loopedr1 (Post 463377)
DAMN..i have 4 vans and i didnt know about that stupid switch.....thanks...

I had the same problem because my first van was a 2001 Express Passenger van LT1 with all the bells and whistles. On the 2001 van the dome light shut off was the round knob pushed in or out. When I got my new 2018 Express van I thought the switch was broken because I was pushing in on the knob and the dome would not go off. It took me several months and finally consulting the Owners Manual (Heaven forbid) before i figured out that the top rectangular portion was the actual dome light switch. Felt kind of fooling after learning that. I am just glad I learned it before I took my van in to have the dome light switch replaced!!!

jamesm113 April 22nd, 2021 1:45 AM

Wow, very helpful, thanks @Black'95 !

Do you happen to know if the dome override switch has multiple values?

My van was doing something weird, where all the doors EXCEPT the drivers would turn on the dome lights. Opening the drivers door would still be detected (turns on the odometer, turns off radio with key out, etc), but the dome light would ignore it.

I just tried playing with the switch, and now all doors trigger the dome light.

Black'95 April 23rd, 2021 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jamesm113 (Post 463888)
Wow, very helpful, thanks @Black'95 !

Do you happen to know if the dome override switch has multiple values?

None that I have found. Maybe others that read this post have found more and the image below is all my 2018 owners manual says about it.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...25b832592e.jpg

SoloSam116 July 29th, 2021 5:10 PM

My dome light... On when I want it off

Originally Posted by Twscarp (Post 343738)
Good job canucklehead, I didn't know about the push to depress the top part to turn off the dome lights, push again and the switch comes out and domes come on. The little knob (stalk), will also turn on the dome lights, if rotated all the way clockwise. You have a 2014 Express, is yours the same as mine?

Hello
My dome light has begun coming on when I open my doors, it has always been off when my doors have been left open b4 today... Does this mean I have some kind of a bad switch in the override the override is not allowing me to turn It off.
Help me If you can...Sam