Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   2003 Chevy Express Van Conversion / Seat Replacement (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/2003-chevy-express-van-conversion-seat-replacement-97116/)

keightley September 3rd, 2019 7:42 PM

2003 Chevy Express Van Conversion / Seat Replacement

Hello All -
I am hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my questions and give me some advice. I am converting a 2003 Chevy Express into a RV with the intent to travel around North America primarily in the West. My driver's seat has a big hole in the bottom cushion so it needs to be replaced. And since this will eventually be my home for a time, I would like the seats to look nice and be comfortable. My friend is very handy with a sewing machine. I am either going to ask her to help in reupholstering both the driver's and passenger seats or have a upholster do it for me. It really depends on willingness, ability, and costs. So I am wondering this. Can I switch the driver's seat with the passenger seat for a time until I get the driver's seat restored?

This is my only vehicle so I obviously need a seat to drive it. I have been searching wreaking yards for a replacement seat but I have had no success. Using the passenger seat as the driver's seat for a time would make this much easier.

Oh, and while I am thinking on the replacement cushion, I want to ask this question. Has anyone used The Seat Shop Durofoam seat cushions? Was the install difficult?

I thank any who can answer my question and give me advice. I look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Keightley

mountainmanjoe September 3rd, 2019 11:34 PM

In my van the two front seats aren't interchangeable. The bases are different. Anyway, in the time it took you to write your post you could have just tried it.
I think the reality is that you're going be out a lot of money. Re-upholstering is expensive, and so are replacement seats in decent condition.

keightley September 3rd, 2019 11:46 PM

I realize that it will be expensive. But if I am going to live out of this van and drive all over the West, Canada, and Alaska, I don’t want to sit in a hole. The durafoam seat cushion is $150. And if I can talk to my friend who sees, I just need to pay for fabric and a bit extra for her time. I can use the current seat covering as patterns.

And if I go to a pro, it will undoubtably be 10 times that if I want the seats reupholstered.

How can I check to see if the bases are different for each seat?

Where there is a will, there is a way. I need to find that way.

Keightley

mountainmanjoe September 4th, 2019 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by keightley (Post 434551)
How can I check to see if the bases are different for each seat?

:confused:
unbolt and swap the seats

Now that I think about it, there is an alternative. You could try leaving the bases be, and just detach the chair part. 4 bolts I think. You will probably need to detach the arm rest (there's a clip in there but it really puts up a fight). But you still have the issue of the seatbelt. I don't know how you'll work that out.

Beau Oszman September 4th, 2019 12:21 AM

Was gonna say, just swap the rails from the bottoms. Don't know about arm rests though, both mine are captains with rests on both sides.

Twscarp September 6th, 2019 9:02 AM

Originally Posted by keightley (Post 434540)
Hello All -
I am hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my questions and give me some advice. I am converting a 2003 Chevy Express into a RV with the intent to travel around North America primarily in the West. My driver's seat has a big hole in the bottom cushion so it needs to be replaced. And since this will eventually be my home for a time, I would like the seats to look nice and be comfortable. My friend is very handy with a sewing machine. I am either going to ask her to help in reupholstering both the driver's and passenger seats or have a upholster do it for me. It really depends on willingness, ability, and costs. So I am wondering this. Can I switch the driver's seat with the passenger seat for a time until I get the driver's seat restored?

This is my only vehicle so I obviously need a seat to drive it. I have been searching wreaking yards for a replacement seat but I have had no success. Using the passenger seat as the driver's seat for a time would make this much easier.

Oh, and while I am thinking on the replacement cushion, I want to ask this question. Has anyone used The Seat Shop Durofoam seat cushions? Was the install difficult?

I thank any who can answer my question and give me advice. I look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Keightley

Hi, yes I installed the driver's side bottom seat cushion from The Seat Shop a couple of years ago. After watching the video I removed the whole seat, base and all, four bolts and disconnected the plugs. I removed the seat back from the bottom part, my vinyl seat cover was still reusable, so I removed that, installed the new cushion, put my existing vinyl cover back on. Then reattached the seat back, and reinstalled the completed seat. It took a couple of hours, you have to wrestle the cover back on, but not too bad. If I were you, buy the new vinyl or cloth cover, good luck. My van is a 2008 1500 Cargo.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...8420fc8f4.jpeg

GatorHawk24 September 9th, 2019 11:17 AM

I also replaced my driver's seat bottom with foam from The Seat Shop. Here's a link to the thread where I talked about it. https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...rs-seat-92772/

recharges September 11th, 2019 6:08 AM

Im in for a third vote for the seat shop. I had a local upholsterer fix the foam and seat cover years ago and it did not last long at all. Last year I found the seat shop and ordered a close enough match to the old cloth seat pattern and new foam. Installed it myself and woot, back in business