Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express Van Conversion / Seat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2019, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 Chevy Express Van Conversion / Seat Replacement

Hello All -
I am hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my questions and give me some advice. I am converting a 2003 Chevy Express into a RV with the intent to travel around North America primarily in the West. My driver's seat has a big hole in the bottom cushion so it needs to be replaced. And since this will eventually be my home for a time, I would like the seats to look nice and be comfortable. My friend is very handy with a sewing machine. I am either going to ask her to help in reupholstering both the driver's and passenger seats or have a upholster do it for me. It really depends on willingness, ability, and costs. So I am wondering this. Can I switch the driver's seat with the passenger seat for a time until I get the driver's seat restored?

This is my only vehicle so I obviously need a seat to drive it. I have been searching wreaking yards for a replacement seat but I have had no success. Using the passenger seat as the driver's seat for a time would make this much easier.

Oh, and while I am thinking on the replacement cushion, I want to ask this question. Has anyone used The Seat Shop Durofoam seat cushions? Was the install difficult?

I thank any who can answer my question and give me advice. I look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Keightley
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

In my van the two front seats aren't interchangeable. The bases are different. Anyway, in the time it took you to write your post you could have just tried it.
I think the reality is that you're going be out a lot of money. Re-upholstering is expensive, and so are replacement seats in decent condition.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

I realize that it will be expensive. But if I am going to live out of this van and drive all over the West, Canada, and Alaska, I don’t want to sit in a hole. The durafoam seat cushion is $150. And if I can talk to my friend who sees, I just need to pay for fabric and a bit extra for her time. I can use the current seat covering as patterns.

And if I go to a pro, it will undoubtably be 10 times that if I want the seats reupholstered.

How can I check to see if the bases are different for each seat?

Where there is a will, there is a way. I need to find that way.

Keightley
Old September 4th, 2019, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by keightley
How can I check to see if the bases are different for each seat?

unbolt and swap the seats

Now that I think about it, there is an alternative. You could try leaving the bases be, and just detach the chair part. 4 bolts I think. You will probably need to detach the arm rest (there's a clip in there but it really puts up a fight). But you still have the issue of the seatbelt. I don't know how you'll work that out.
Old September 4th, 2019, 12:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was gonna say, just swap the rails from the bottoms. Don't know about arm rests though, both mine are captains with rests on both sides.
Old September 6th, 2019, 9:02 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keightley
Hello All -
I am hoping someone would be kind enough to answer my questions and give me some advice. I am converting a 2003 Chevy Express into a RV with the intent to travel around North America primarily in the West. My driver's seat has a big hole in the bottom cushion so it needs to be replaced. And since this will eventually be my home for a time, I would like the seats to look nice and be comfortable. My friend is very handy with a sewing machine. I am either going to ask her to help in reupholstering both the driver's and passenger seats or have a upholster do it for me. It really depends on willingness, ability, and costs. So I am wondering this. Can I switch the driver's seat with the passenger seat for a time until I get the driver's seat restored?

This is my only vehicle so I obviously need a seat to drive it. I have been searching wreaking yards for a replacement seat but I have had no success. Using the passenger seat as the driver's seat for a time would make this much easier.

Oh, and while I am thinking on the replacement cushion, I want to ask this question. Has anyone used The Seat Shop Durofoam seat cushions? Was the install difficult?

I thank any who can answer my question and give me advice. I look forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Keightley
Hi, yes I installed the driver's side bottom seat cushion from The Seat Shop a couple of years ago. After watching the video I removed the whole seat, base and all, four bolts and disconnected the plugs. I removed the seat back from the bottom part, my vinyl seat cover was still reusable, so I removed that, installed the new cushion, put my existing vinyl cover back on. Then reattached the seat back, and reinstalled the completed seat. It took a couple of hours, you have to wrestle the cover back on, but not too bad. If I were you, buy the new vinyl or cloth cover, good luck. My van is a 2008 1500 Cargo.
Old September 9th, 2019, 11:17 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also replaced my driver's seat bottom with foam from The Seat Shop. Here's a link to the thread where I talked about it. https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...rs-seat-92772/
Old September 11th, 2019, 6:08 AM
CF Beginner

Im in for a third vote for the seat shop. I had a local upholsterer fix the foam and seat cover years ago and it did not last long at all. Last year I found the seat shop and ordered a close enough match to the old cloth seat pattern and new foam. Installed it myself and woot, back in business