Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Stock/OME radio for 05 Cargo?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2018, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock/OME radio for 05 Cargo?

This forum is great, I have a 05 work van with 175k. Still going strong.

I’m in search of a stock cassette radio for my 05 Express Cargo van.

Where can I look for one of these and how will I know what fits my van?

thank you

Last edited by smileyboy; November 8th, 2018 at 8:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 8th, 2018, 9:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ebay would be my first stop. Then Craigslist. If I was motivated I would go to a wrecker.

An '05 would take a double din. I am not sure if there actually was a 'cassette radio' for that year. I do not think there was. In fact, I think you 'might' have a problem find a stock deck that fits (which a cassette). Radio's are very easy to wire, you only thing you need to to be weary of are the theftlock problems with factory radios. An older one you could literally 'reset' yourself, newer radios for your year and newer, you likely need the dealership. Currently, I am thinking of this radio. I believe it fits your year as well. You could always buy a stock cassette player from an older different year/model and hook it in to the Aux Input. At least, I foresee those stock cassette players as being simple to wire. One would have to study the schematic to know for sure.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 8th, 2018 at 9:34 AM.
Old November 8th, 2018, 9:37 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I am wrong, maybe what I mislead you on above will not work. I am not sure if these are actually double din. I do however see the radio you want to install. This is it right?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/05-2005-Chev...5btzsF&vxp=mtr

Old November 8th, 2018, 9:57 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll probably want to skip the OEM route and buy an aftermarket stereo with the features you want. You can find cheap OEM radios on eBay that are a direct replacement, however GM (in its infinite wisdom) has integrated theft protection in its stereos since the early 2000s (maybe earlier). When the stereo turns on it verifies the vehicle that it is installed in (usually by the VIN). If the stereo detects a different VIN or code than is stored on the memory module, it will lock and you will lose all functionality. There are videos of people who have found ways to "fix" it, but they usually required some expensive equipment and/or time and effort that is really not worth it to keep everything stock.