Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Best up grades done (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/best-up-grades-done-85622/)

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:12 PM

Rear speakers - don't bother. The van is so long and huge that as a driver you will not be hearing any sound coming from the back. Especially, if you will be using the van as a van, and sound will be further obstructed by the cargo. Two decent component front door speakers with an amp make the world of difference.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

My van will not have seats that obstruct the sound of my speakers from the rear doors.. I have installed them and they ROCK
I used the Fade on my Double Din Stereo and have them tuned perfectly with the NEW door speakers.....
I will be carrying my RC PLANES.. while pulling my 24ft Enclosed Trailer with my JETS in it .

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:15 PM

ARTIE 1
MUST have a transmission cooler, or better two of them.
I have a Derale deep pan for my 4L80e that provides 2qt more ATF capacity and cooling tubes, for further cooling down. This provides that additional help when you're pulling uphill.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

I agree 100% and thanks for that Tip.... that will be a must do for me since I will be pulling my 24 ft Enclosed Trailer...
I will look into were I can get that pan.. so might as well change the fluid and filter while I am there as well as my 1st gear servo
like I did in my other GMC Truck... with the Corvette Servo.. to make the nice fast hard shift out of 1st gear quicker.

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:21 PM

ARTIE 1
Rear view camera - best place to install is in the license plate frame.
Towing:
__________________________________________________ _______________________

Why is that better place for rear viewing rather than the 3rd brake light ?
one that was found has I believe 170 degree viewing...

PLUS.. I am going to go with 2 REAR Cameras.. 1 being in the rear of the VAN...
and 2nd will be in the REAR of the Enclosed trailer.. I have taking the advice or STAN VAN
and he put his on a rocker switch rather than a back up light wire.. he can look behind him
when ever he wants too..
I like that idea.. check out the trailer to van connection when ever you want plus I will
be able to switch to the Trailer camera for backing into my Spot at the Flying Field.

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ARTIE 1
Stock mirrors aren't made for towing. You can't see behind the trailer. There isn't much to recommend besides Velvac brand mirrors that GM installs on cutaway vans (think Penske). There's new style, that looks nice but you cannot fold them in when not towing, and there's old style.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

I Agree again 100% I have actually looked into the high dollar mirrors that are offered by only that ONE company Velvac.. I am not impressed
so I am going to try these for a meer $80.oo

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:30 PM

ARTIE 1
What else... heated/cooled powered front seats from a Saab 9-5. 8.1 engine for better towing torque. Aux fuel tank in place of the rear spare for farther travel without fill-ups.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

That is a Total Luxury.. for me .. I would be happy with the Arm rests cloth seats... lol
my truck came with the darn vinyl seats that the driver side is TOAST...
because the van sits up to far from the ground with out Step bar.. and people slide their butt out of the seat
my seat is Destroyed.. plus it does not have the arm rest..
I have how ever that bud... that will hook me up with a set of cloth ones with arm rest ...
provided we make sure they fit.. lol I was told that not all the years interchange I am not for sure if that
is true.. but I will soon see Wed. ( next day off ).....

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:32 PM

MY van has the 6.0 with 3.73 posi gear
plenty of towing power for me and what I am pulling ..
keep in mind. I am not pulling a CAR in the trailer..
just my PLANES.... and equipment.. so I never would be
pulling as much as some with a car in the trailer...

Teammuir1 September 30th, 2017 8:36 PM

ARTIE 1

I would like to know what year your van is >????

because I am interested in knowing more about your Dash....
you have several things that I dont reconize that is on your dash...
below the tow button..
what is that ?
I do like your steering wheel.... IF I knew I could utilize the buttons
like you have on yours.. I would definatly go that route... to control my
KENWOOD.... but other than that I dont want to buy something that
does not work and just looks good.

StanVan September 30th, 2017 10:59 PM

I gotta agree with Artie on the rear speakers. At least the roof ones. I don't think the seats or lack thereof are a factor. It's a combination of how far away they are AND a crappy enclosure. I upgraded mine mainly because it will be right above my bed. But the enclosure needs some work. It's thin walled, and acoustically leaky, both of which I will address later.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 2:13 AM

STAN. ARTIE......

I am not talking about the top speaker modual
I havent installed it yet... I am talking about the rear door speakers 6x9's. They Rock for me....

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 2:15 AM

ARTIE 1. Why did you remove the body off the chassis ?

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 2:37 AM

ARTIE1
When you put the deeper trans pan on did you go with
The filter adapter as well ?

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 9:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
OK I couldnt stand it any longer
I fixed the pics for the ones that cant stand on their heads

Artie1 October 1st, 2017 1:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Body had to be removed in order to install the big 8.1 engine...
The buttons below the tow/haul are for the power sliding door.
Good luck with your project... Victory red is quite rare color for those vans.

Artie1 October 1st, 2017 1:26 PM

Mine is a 2006. I did not put the filter adapter on it, just the deeper pan.
http://derale.com/products/transmiss...fitting-detail
Increases fluid capacity by 4 qts. 16 oz. Just $120.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 4:05 PM

ARTIE 1
thats a great pic I like that view..... plus if I had never seen that view
I wouldnt have known you had a Luggage Rack on top of your van...
thats cool too.... being mine is a cargo van I suppose thats
why It doesnt have one.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 7:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more progress on the Van today.. not as much as I wanted to get done but
as always seems that there just isnt enough time in the day.
so I removed the emblems from the VAN... STAN.... lol... used my
Heat gun and then a Glue remover... check out the rear and the side

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 7:27 PM

2006 Express Mud Flaps

2 Attachment(s)
So I installed the mud flaps
I really like the looks thanks for recommending that
upgrade... and practical to.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 7:31 PM

I have not taking the time and worked on removing all that splatter thats on the rear
aft the rear tire... on the van
its hard.. and its almost like concrete..
so when I get the chance I guess I will use the concrete dissolver
I had bought when I cleaned the interior out .....
and see if I can get all of that splatter of the paint.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 7:49 PM

Running Boards

1 Attachment(s)
STAN
I found the running boards I am wanting...
they actually go wheel to wheel...
check them out .

StanVan October 1st, 2017 8:12 PM

I'm not so sure that is a 155. In measuring mine, I found that 100" boards are about 20" short of going wheel to wheel. So, what I'm saying is make sure those boards are 120"

Oh, and nice flaps.

StanVan October 1st, 2017 8:19 PM

And another thing. It may not be an issue for the warmer states, but a luggage rack makes it harder to get snow off the roof. Even without one, it was still a PITA on my Astro.

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 8:27 PM

OK... thanks Stan.....

Teammuir1 October 1st, 2017 8:30 PM

Thats smart thinking...
I am not sold on a luggage rack.. I honestly didnt know they
existed.. till I saw that pic.. lol
I would really like to have a Roof Spoiler.. lol
kinda like a flashback to the 70's... and maybe a Round port hole window
maybe a Tear drop.. lol.... you know that kind... lol

StanVan October 1st, 2017 8:42 PM

You may be in the wrong forum.

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbt.../forum_summary

Just sayin'. Although truthfully, they prefer vans from the 60s and 70s. There are some good ideas there.

Teammuir1 October 2nd, 2017 6:39 AM

STAN
I proweled around there.. a little...
but honestly .. I think I am were I need to be...
I can however get ideas from there..
but they dont post that much there..

StanVan October 3rd, 2017 9:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some forward progress, and some backwards as well. First, the forward. I got the bed finished enough to be able to sleep on it this weekend. It is my first campout in this van, and while I've had it since July, I've been busy finding a place to live, moving us, and separately, moving my daughter. Basically, the bed has happened since Sunday. This is a 15 passenger, and 3 of the 4 bench seats are taken out. The front 15 inches of the bed does fold down, to allow a second seat to be in place when I'm not camping. I wanted to still carry some people if needed.

Now the backward, and a little back story. When I sold my house in June, it allowed for the purchase of the van, and about $1000.00 of accessories, mainly running boards and a stereo. I ordered it all right after I got the van, and the stereo sat until last week when I installed it. Truthfully, I never looked at it closely. I finished installing it late in the day, at sunset. I figured I'd learn how to work it the next day. During the "learning", I found that while it was close, it wasn't the model I had ordered. I then had contact with the Amazon vendor, who said that he ran out of the one I ordered, and sent the "current equivalent model", without telling me. Or asking either. He is, however, willing to take it back for a full refund, despite the length of time I've had it, or that it was installed. So, the stock unit went back in yesterday. So, it will not be a "bumpin' trip"(subwoofer reference) this weekend, but I do have a bed to sleep in.

Teammuir1 October 3rd, 2017 10:10 PM

Awsome Job Stan....
that really stinks about the radio situation.. but I am sure you will get
it straightened out..... and hopefully you get the one you want......
I am very happy with my stereo... I have the Sirius already connected
so I can listen to the oldies.. any time.....

Have fun on your trip... take lots of pics....
I am headed back to the junk yard tomorrow... looking for a few more things
hopefully I will get alot accomplished .... will post pics as well....
Seems that others have stopped adding their up grades lists....

StanVan October 3rd, 2017 10:29 PM

I will text you some of the action. I get there midday on Thursday. And while I have to wait for the refund, I will solve this radio issue.

Teammuir1 October 4th, 2017 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Absolutely TEXT me the fun you guys are having.... for sure....

I made yet another trip to the junk yard today...picked up more pieces
that I am thinking about using,.

Teammuir1 October 6th, 2017 3:58 AM

Front seats chevy express

I found a set of frt seats that are power.... dont know if they work yet. I thought about taking a small battery out with me and checking.... before I purchase.... but the question is Will they physically bolt it..?
Without and modifications.... the year is 1996 . my van is a 2006....the seats are a lower back seat. They seem real comfy when i sat in them. Id like to be able to unbolt... and bolt right in mine.. any one know if thas possible ?

Twscarp October 6th, 2017 6:48 AM

I made yet another trip to the junk yard today...picked up more pieces
that I am thinking about using,.
OK, I give up, what are the black plastic pieces, and the varnished wood parts in post #109?

Teammuir1 October 6th, 2017 8:05 AM

Twscarp

LOL.... I mentioned before that I was going to do some upgrades in my interior....
I havent showed you all the pieces yet... but I plan on isulating the interior of the van
and then installing panels I will make it custom... but still functional I want storage boxes...
on each side but yet still have enough room for my air up mattress for when we go to
RC airplane meets.. ususally a 2 day event which would require us to spend the night
rather than packing up and going to hotel.. why not spend the night.. ( like camping )
our meets have camping plug ins for electric so I am going to make the van versatile .
Haul my planes and give us space to sleep .
now I am not talking a camper.. but seriously wanting to custom out the interior
the way I want it.. as I start on the interior I will post pics with the progress. and possibly
get input from you guys.
Those pieces are mainly the roof ( headliner ) pieces....they will give that custom
look when its complete. The long piece with the tinted area in the middle actually
light up low ambient light .. ( mood lighting ) wink wink.. lol

Teammuir1 October 8th, 2017 3:04 PM

Exhaust Manifold Bolts Breaking

4 Attachment(s)
Have any of you had the trouble were the exhaust manifold bolt break......
This van has that problem... on the drivers side... I confirmed that when
I took the engine cover off , it was a slight tik tik tik when I started the motor
I figured it when I bought it... so Today we are having the rain from the
hurricane Nate.... so I thought what better day to start the project...
I have some pics for the ones that have never ventured into a job
like this.. maybe it will help another person.

Teammuir1 October 8th, 2017 3:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the next set shows the actual bolt thats broke and how I removed it

Since I am already there I went ahead bought new AC Delco splugs...
and New Valve cover gaskets...
I am in the process now.. cleaning the entire parts up...
and once I clean them all up I will be putting the Left side back
together... more pics follow.

Teammuir1 October 8th, 2017 8:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I finished cleaning off all mating surfaces...
I bought New Bolts.... Manifold gaskets.... and flange gaskets.....
All buttoned up of the driver side.. and I will start on the passenger side
tomorrow...
now the passenger side does not have any broken bolts...
and hopefully none of them break as I begin taking them out.

StanVan October 9th, 2017 9:48 AM

More ambition than I can muster. I'm sorta afraid to remove the doghouse, just because of how much of a PITA it was on my Astro. That, and at 60, I don't have the back to do much under a hood( or doghouse).

Teammuir1 October 9th, 2017 10:17 AM

Red wire to fuse box ( not connected )

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone.. as you know I been working on the my Van... well this morning I noticed a red wire not
connected to the Fuse Box under the hood.. after further inspection.. it appears that it could actually
go to the fuse box.. it reaches.. its weird in a since that I didnt notice anything not working... before.
So.. I now this there are things that have been left off that I have found and bolts replaced
with bolts that are not suppose to go were they were put... so this is no surprise to me ....
But I know need to find out what it goes to... so ... Please if anyone has the spare time take
a look and see if you have this lonely red wire... by the fuse box.
Since my van isnt equipped with any extras to speak of.. I would say its prolly on others as well.
I have looked at the under side of the fuse box lid.. it doesnt show anything being there.
which tells me its prolly a HOT with key on terminal.. I will check that out later..
But if some one might know what it goes to that would be greatly appreciated .

StanVan October 9th, 2017 11:12 AM

Wow. Have you checked it to see if it's hot? Although it looks to be the exact length to hook up at the fusible link. I'd also check all of the fuses in that box to see if they're hot or not.

StanVan October 9th, 2017 11:17 AM

Mine is laid out differently, so I don't think I can be of any help.

Teammuir1 October 9th, 2017 4:26 PM

Hey Stan....
Hope you had a great time on your trip......
I did check to see if it has power.. and it Does Not...
But if it does go there then it powers something
cause that terminal is energized when the key is
on ACC and Ignition is on.
so the million dollar question..
what does it go to... and OMG why was is left off lol
I swear who ever did the work under the hood I sure
dont want them touching anything of mine..
I now have to go make a trip back to the junk yard and get some
bolts that are missing.. I guess if no one knows and can show me
a pic of their van. I will try to check other vans in there
and see if its connected.