Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Broken exhaust manifold bolt

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 10:14 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Broken exhaust manifold bolt

2015 Express Passenger 3500 6.0l short wheelbase with about 40k miles on it. I heard a slight exhaust tick and looked when doing the last oil change. Sure enough the driver side rear bolt was missing it's head.

At some point I think I'll pull the manifolds off, extract the stud somehow (likely have to weld a nut to it because it looks flush with the head), and replace everything. For now I decided I'll just throw a clamp on it to keep it from getting any worse.

I picked up one of these knock-offs from China on Amazon with brackets for both sides just in case.
TEMSONE Exhaust Manifold Bolt Repair Kit Compatible with Newer GM Trucks And SUV 4.8 Liter 5.3 Liter 6.2 L 1999-2013, 6.0 L 1999-2021
​​​​​

Quality looked ok. Fit was ok. A ground wire was attached to the head there. I installed the bracket with some copper anti-seize on the bolts and moved the ground wire to outside of the bracket. I put some red loctite on the bolt that pushes against the manifold. No more tick (that I don't think my wife could hear or notice but it bother me).

While I was in there I noticed a very weathered vacuum hose. The 7/32" hose that goes from the top of the intake manifold to the passenger side of the engine bay behind the AC receiver/drier. My wife was kind enough to go and pick some up. Needed 2ft but the first AutoZone was out so she had to drive to another.

The exhaust fix was very easy. It was harder to take the doghouse off than put the bracket on. The vacuum hose was simple even though under the hood side could only be done by feel because you can't see it. Simple project turned into a couple of hours from letting my son do some of the work and delay getting the vacuum hose.
The following 4 users liked this post by Triaged:
Derrick71 (May 26th, 2024), Expresscv (June 6th, 2024), jfmorris (May 25th, 2024), mountainmanjoe (May 25th, 2024)
Old May 25th, 2024, 1:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 652 Likes on 592 Posts

thanks for all the photos
Old May 25th, 2024, 1:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

You're welcome. I figured this was a common issue that pictures would be helpful for and it's nice this website allows uploading pictures.