Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

chevy 4.3 V6 TIMING ISSUE?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2019, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation chevy 4.3 V6 TIMING ISSUE?

My name js Dick and im 24. This is my first time here. I look to the elders for their seasoned knowledge and experience for help and guidance. I have a 2008 chevy express 1500 4.3L V-6. It stopped running. I plugged in a code reader and it came back with camshaft position sensor fault codes. So i replaced it and since the engine has 149,000 miles i i replaced the water pump, timing chain, timing cover plate, tensioner and sprockets as well. Now when i try to start the van it wont start and sounds like cranking an engine with all the spark plugs out. I am confident that the cam and crank timing is correct. maybe balance shaft sprocket timing. idk. I would upload an audio file of the engine sound cranking.if i knew how... any advice would be tremendously appreciated

Last edited by dickfitzwell; March 25th, 2019 at 1:19 AM. Reason: revised
Old March 24th, 2019, 7:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by dickfitzwell
My name js Dick and in 24. This is my first time here. I look to the elders for their seasoned knowledge and experience for help and guidance. I have a 2008 chevy express 1500 4.3L V-6. It stopped running. I plugged in a code reader and it came back with camshaft position sensor fault codes. So i replaced it and since the engine has 149,000 miles i i replaced the water pump, timing chain, timing cover plate, tensioner and sprockets as well. Now when i try to start the van it does not sound like normal. it sounds very similar to a kid's electric car or quad...kinda like a mono tone whine noise., not like the loping kind of sound a engine normally makes when starting. And about every third revolution i can hear a slight knock. First thing that came to my mind was that it sounded like no compression, like cranking an engine with all the spark plugs out. I am confident that the cam and crank timing is correct. and i did not mess with the balance shaft sprocket timing. . I would upload an audio file of the engine cranking if i could. oh FYI, I spent 3 years at Universal Technical Institute back in 2007 , 2008, 2009 to study engine performance and repair, diagnostics, electronic engine controls, and engine rebuilding. so i do have some knowledge....my dad says i know enough to be dangerous lol.. any advice would be tremendously appreciated
Since you have lots of training, I cant say much, but that I think some part of your motor is not timed correctly. That would be my guessimate at this point in time.
Old March 25th, 2019, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

thank you
Old March 25th, 2019, 3:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd do a compression check to confirm what you're hearing.
Old March 26th, 2019, 7:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Unhappy

Does sound like timing is off but compression test should tell for sure . Even 180 degrees out it should try to run at least badly , in between 360 and 180 sounds like what you have. Good luck but I hope you don't have to go back in and you find something easy instead.
Old March 26th, 2019, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

thank you. i will do a compression check today...i'll be back
Old March 26th, 2019, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

thank you. i'll check compression today.
Old March 26th, 2019, 11:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be suspicious of the timing chain you put on. Sprockets lined up? Chain loose? Try a timing light. You can't all of a sudden have a compression problem unless you got the cam shaft sprocket off.