Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2021, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

I'm trying to locate the cruise control module for a 2002 express 3500 cargo van. It may not have one, and would like to install cruise if it does not have the module. I just need to know where the module and cables are. Please let me know where to locate the cruise control module. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Old February 11th, 2021, 2:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

If the van has cruise, then it will have the switch on the turn signal lever.

Old February 11th, 2021, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

The switch may have been replaced. All I need is the location for the module. If it didn't come factory I'll be installing factory parts to make it have cruise. Junkyard nation! Lol
Old February 11th, 2021, 2:46 PM
Super Moderator

There it is . #3 in the drawing.
Old February 11th, 2021, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

I'll have a look see. I'm not on the phone a lot. And also the vehicle isn't here. I'm actually installing a trans in my 3500 dually now. And it's module is firewall mounted. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the input.
Old February 16th, 2021, 11:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

should be pretty obvious, it's a box maybe the size of half a carton of cigarettes on a bracket next to the power steering fluid reservoir (toward the right, or passenger side of it) with a cable which circles around and down just right (passenger side) of center to the throttle linkage.

These vans have two wiring harness variants. One has the plugs for cruise and one does not. Typically these vans came with one or two option packages; the package for cruise also included a tilt wheel. However the switch with cruise is interchangeable to either column. If you have no module, you will have to check if it has the wiring plugs, they are left dangling in the same area as the bracket would be and you will see two or three studs with nothing on them.

My 2002 2500 has power windows/locks and mirrors and it has the harness for cruise. I bought the parts to add it but have never gotten around to it. You need to pull the doghouse to reach into the throttle to snap the cable end into place.

The 3500 does not have any power options and does not have the plugs.

Best bet is a junkyard swap, you can probably buy the module new, but the bracket is going to be salvage only and you need the bolts for it too. That also lets you see how to snake the cable into the right place.

Supposedly if you add it on the computer will recognize it and it will work, it may need to learn it, if yours does not have it and you are able to install one, please come back and tell us how it works.
Old March 21st, 2021, 12:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
There it is . #3 in the drawing.
Would this be the same for a 2013? My van has power everything (windows/locks/RKE) but no tilt wheel and no cruise.
Old March 21st, 2021, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

No. A 2013 would be completely electronic. The throttle is not cable operated.
Old March 21st, 2021, 7:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
No. A 2013 would be completely electronic. The throttle is not cable operated.
Is it as easy as buying the harness and buttons and plugging it in?
Old March 21st, 2021, 8:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

You'll have to do some research. It's likely the harness has provisions for it, but if the computer can pick up the inputs and use them, I don't know.

Quick Reply: Cruise control