Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express Van and Bucket Seats

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2018, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I am limited to the 135" wheelbase version due to the size of the cul-de-sac driveway.

I find myself constantly on Autodrader, CarGurus, Craigslist in search for one. I'm hesitant in travelling for one in fear that a local one will pop up. Patience is a virtue....

Last edited by Altered4x4; September 13th, 2018 at 6:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 22nd, 2018, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

We are stoked! We were able to locate a 2016 2500 with less than 10k miles, with the buckets! We are itching to take it out camping. As a bonus, it fit in our driveway.

I see it as a blank canvas. First up will be outfitting it with a towing package in the next few weeks.

Found the one....

Just short enough to fit in our driveway

Last edited by Altered4x4; September 22nd, 2018 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 22nd, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats!! It looks like the 155", am I seeing it wrong? And it looks like everybody is happy. I have misplaced the pic, but My Dad's first new vehicle was a 1964 Chevy Greenbriar (Corvair) van. And I was about the age of your son, and the missing pic is of me standing in the side doors, with just as big of a grin as he has.

Keep us posted on your progress, and don't hesitate to ask for advice.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

This one is a 135" version. The 155" did not fit on our driveway.

I do have a question. Are the brake lights supposed to come on when you hit the brakes with the ignition off?

I started working on the trailer wiring (Hopkins kit 41345) and noticed this. On all my previous cars (Hondas) the brake lights come on regardless whether the ignition is on or off.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 6:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It's definitely the 135" wheelbase.

The rear window pane on the extended wheelbase is huge, and the gas filler is kind of between the 2nd and 3rd window, instead of 1st and 2nd.
This is what the 155" wheelbase looks like at the same angle.

Old September 22nd, 2018, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome! and congrats!

I just checked my van, and the brakes activate the lights when the key is in any position other than off (or out of the ignition). Hope that helps.

As you are getting your new beast ready towing, I really recommend the Redarc brake controller that I mentioned in an earlier post. I'll try to get some pictures, so you can see what I did.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 8:39 PM
CF Active Member

The Redarc Tow Pro Elite uses a remote interface to adjust trailer brake intensity. I installed it below the van's tow mode button, and the rest of the sensor is behind the dash.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 8:44 PM
CF Beginner

Gator: Thanks for the brake checking! You just saved me a bunch of worrying. I will sleep comfortably tonight knowing I did not fry our new-to-us van.

Thanks for the brake controller recommendation. Very slick install. I ended up picking up a P3 Tekonsha for $20 at a local garage sale. I am going to give that one a try but I will be going with your recommendation if this one does not work out. I am coming from a cheap uhaul branded time-based controller so I hope the P3 will be an upgrade.

I will be pulling a 2200lbs pop up in the near term. I'm hoping to upgrade as soon as I pay my new rig down a bit.

Thanks again for the information! Looking forward to sharing our build.

Last edited by Altered4x4; September 22nd, 2018 at 8:49 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2018, 8:44 PM
CF Active Member

There's a bracket that makes a very convenient mounting location for the rest of the brake controller.

Old September 22nd, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Active Member

I bought the P3, before i bought the Redarc. The P3 is definitely an upgrade over anything time based. My issue was that I couldn't find a mounting location that I liked for it. It seemed cumbersome to mount it below the steering wheel between my legs. Being able to mount the Redarc behind the dash solved that problem for me, and it almost looks factory.

Quick Reply: Express Van and Bucket Seats