Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G-20 brake vibration

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts
Default G-20 brake vibration

moved from another topic...
Originally Posted by calook1967
Hello All Again. Updating my whoas with my G20 Van.
If you have ever driven a G-20 van you will understand the Squishy brakes when attempting a near panic stop. I decided to resolve this issue. I bought Wilwood calipers for the front. I also stepped up to drilled and slotted rotors, new ceramic pads, new shoes in rear and NTB was gracious enough to completely ruin one rear drum when I paid them to "clean them up" by turning the thick original drums. SO I bought a new pair of drums also. Now what I am experiencing is once you're on the road awhile and everything is all warmed up, when i apply the brakes they make this HORRIBLE thunderous vibration. Its not a typical brake squeal. It is a loud grinding growling sound with a feel like something is seriously out of round. I noticed the new calipers were rubbing slightly on the inside of my aluminum wheels so I fixed that by clearancing both with a scotchbrite disc. Now I contacted Wilwood tech support and they told me I had to temper the pads to the rotors by warming them up by driving normally, then at 35 mph apply firm pressure to the brake pedal. Doing this 3-5 times until I smelled hot pads. then to cool them down normally. I did what they suggested and I still have that growling demon somewhere. Any ideas? I'm just wondering if I have a bad drum or rotor new out of the box? Oh and all the front bearings were replaced at the same time with the best quality I could buy.
Originally Posted by StanVan
Can you tell if the noise is coming from the front or the back?

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 12th, 2018 at 5:49 PM.
Old March 12th, 2018, 5:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I agree with Stan. Get somebody to stand outside and listen if it's coming from the discs or drums.