Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

G20 van wheel change

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2010, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question G20 van wheel change

Hey all,
New dude here to this forum. I have a 95 van and want to mount a set of small 5 lug chevy wheels on. The rears I can use adapters, the front is my problem. Can I buy a hub/rotor with the 5 on 4.75 pattern that will be a direct replacement for the front? I'm hung up on my wheels and would love to use them. Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas to all!
Old December 24th, 2010, 9:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why not just replace the rotors?
Old December 24th, 2010, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Yes

That's exactly what I want to do but I have to make sure the rotor is all the same except the bolt pattern. My question is if the rotors are available. Thanks
Old December 24th, 2010, 8:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 1/2 tons all have the 5 lug set up. Above that the 3/4 and 1 tons went to 8 lugs.
And if you use aftermarket wheels the might have dual bolt space patterns. Only the large GM cars used 4.75 bolt pattern(technically only Chevy and Pontiac used this, but every division used this for the mid-size RWD cars-Monte Carlo, Cutlass, etc).

What is odd is that the 1/2 ton Suburban has a 5x5" bolt space pattern but the 1/2 van has 4.75" until like the 1996 changeover where they went to the 5x5" bolt spacing pattern(dont hold me to that though...I know a guy and I swear his conversion van looks like a 5x4.5").

But if I were you I d prefer to put on Suburban rotors with a 5x5" bolt spacing, but you already have the wheels you want to use.

Go to Autozone or Advances website and punch in a few numbers, change the year of the van like plus or minus 3 years and see if the part numbers are different and check specs. No matter what the rotor still mounts on the hub like they all do. You really just want to know if the rotor has a hat to it and what is the clearance from the disc to the spindle and will the caliper or mounts bind up or clash.
Old March 11th, 2018, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Hello All Again. Updating my whoas with my G20 Van.
If you have ever driven a G-20 van you will understand the Squishy brakes when attempting a near panic stop. I decided to resolve this issue. I bought Wilwood calipers for the front. I also stepped up to drilled and slotted rotors, new ceramic pads, new shoes in rear and NTB was gracious enough to completely ruin one rear drum when I paid them to "clean them up" by turning the thick original drums. SO I bought a new pair of drums also. Now what I am experiencing is once you're on the road awhile and everything is all warmed up, when i apply the brakes they make this HORRIBLE thunderous vibration. Its not a typical brake squeal. It is a loud grinding growling sound with a feel like something is seriously out of round. I noticed the new calipers were rubbing slightly on the inside of my aluminum wheels so I fixed that by clearancing both with a scotchbrite disc. Now I contacted Wilwood tech support and they told me I had to temper the pads to the rotors by warming them up by driving normally, then at 35 mph apply firm pressure to the brake pedal. Doing this 3-5 times until I smelled hot pads. then to cool them down normally. I did what they suggested and I still have that growling demon somewhere. Any ideas? I'm just wondering if I have a bad drum or rotor new out of the box? Oh and all the front bearings were replaced at the same time with the best quality I could buy.
Old March 11th, 2018, 1:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I always shake my head at someone who bumps an 8 year old thread, but considering you started it, you get a pass

Can you tell if the noise is coming from the front or the back?
Old March 11th, 2018, 2:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Reported.
You resurrected an 8 yr old topic, and posted something unrelated. Please learn some basic forum etiquette before posting again.
Old March 11th, 2018, 3:49 PM
CF Veteran

It's not totally unrelated, and he did start it. Besides, he doesn't have to fill in the back story to what he's modified. Lighten up.
Old March 11th, 2018, 4:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

He asked for help troubleshooting his brakes. The topic title is "G20 van wheel change". He should definitely have started a new topic. It doesn't matter who started it. It's frowned upon in any forum.

We should try make information easy to find for members.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; March 11th, 2018 at 4:21 PM.
Old March 11th, 2018, 5:30 PM
CF Veteran

And reporting him does what? Chasing people away is frowned upon more than what he did. And I'd bet my comment got the message across without any hostility. I'd bet he never comes back. And who's to say it isn't wheel related?

Quick Reply: G20 van wheel change