Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Hello

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2019, 12:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old March 11th, 2019, 10:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
Factory location for a cam is at the license plate. But I like mine that's in the center brake light.
Personally, I HATE the offset location of the factory back-up camera near the license plate. It's good enough to see if there are any obstacles in your path as you back up, but it is horrible for trying to line up with a trailer. I've been considering other locations for a new back-up cam... 1. centered in the rear bumper step, so it looks over the ball when hooking up a trailer. 2. on the 3rd brake light (but I've seen some really mixed reviews of video/camera quality from the light/camera combos, and their prices are high enough that I'm hesitant to risk it).
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
1. centered in the rear bumper step, so it looks over the ball when hooking up a trailer. 2. on the 3rd brake light (but I've seen some really mixed reviews of video/camera quality from the light/camera combos, and their prices are high enough that I'm hesitant to risk it).
I considered the bumper step as well for the same reason, but I ultimately decided that I did not want to worry about it getting damaged by loading or getting in and out of the van. I have been hitching trailers since I started driving and I can usually get within inches blind, so I really only need a little help from the camera. If you look at my picture you can see that I will have no problem lining up the hitch from that view.

My camera is actually mounted to the left of the handle, so it is pretty centered on the van. I will upload a picture of the location from my phone.
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:25 AM
CF Junior Member

Old March 11th, 2019, 2:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

The picture quality looks OK. The guide lines don't look too useful. I'm guessing those can't be adjusted.

Did you put the display in the factory location, or something else?
Old March 11th, 2019, 4:12 PM
CF Active Member

Mountainmanjoe,

You can see the stock location of the back-up cam just to the right of the key lock on the rear door. Pile0g00's camera placement is better since it's a little higher and more centered than stock, but I think a truly centered camera is best for assisting with trailer hitch alignment.

Old March 11th, 2019, 4:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

I asked about the display, not the camera.

Anyway, I almost never tow. I just need to see what I'm backing into. I may also eventually tie the reverse camera into a dash cam recording unit.
Old March 11th, 2019, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

Pile0g00,

Since your van has the towing package, you already have the hitch and wire harness installed, so that really just leaves you with add-on accessories for towing.

Here's what we have:
Weight Distribution Hitch: Equal-i-zer
https://www.equalizerhitch.com/
I really like this WD hitch because it has sway control built in (built-in sway control is the way to go, no extra parts to worry about, just hook it up and go... several brands offer this). The trailer feels rock-solid behind my van, even when passing big trucks or dealing with cross winds. My only real complaint with this hitch (and you can find several others online who share this feeling) is that it's noisy at low speeds and in sharp turns. Like when you are trying to pull into (or out of) a gas station, camp site, or around town. I added a set of "bracket jackets" (https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...et-jacket-pair) which help with some of the squeaks.

Another WD hitch that I found interesting (I learned about it after I had my setup complete) is the Anderson 3350 (https://andersenhitches.com/Products...-brackets.aspx). It uses chains instead of bars, so when it's not hooked up, it takes up very little space (which is valuable on a travel trailer). I've read several good reviews about it online.

Trailer Brake Controller: RedArc Tow Pro Elite
https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ake_controller
This brake controller is awesome. (I talked about it on this other thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/exp...t-seats-92134/).
Old March 11th, 2019, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
I asked about the display, not the camera.

Anyway, I almost never tow. I just need to see what I'm backing into. I may also eventually tie the reverse camera into a dash cam recording unit.
Yep... my mistake. It helps when I read ALL of the words.
Old March 11th, 2019, 4:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
The picture quality looks OK. The guide lines don't look too useful. I'm guessing those can't be adjusted.

Did you put the display in the factory location, or something else?
Yep, it is OK LOL. It is not going to win an award and you would not want to use it to record your indie movie project, but it works for a backup camera. It also looks worse in a picture than it does on the stereo. I have a small confession as well, I dropped the camera while installing and chipped the glass. That is why it has a foggy spot in the top center .

You are correct the guidelines are not all that helpful, but most head units can enable or disable their own guidelines and you can disable the ones on the camera, you are seeing the camera guidelines. I don't know if my stereo has guidelines or not.

It that picture the stereo is sitting on the dash hooked up to a 120v to 12v 10 amp power supply that is hooked to a 12v to 120v inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter... I was just testing the backup camera to make sure it was working and that it was not getting too much interference from other wires that it was running next to. I am going to install it in the factory location. I just have a few more things to do before it is ready to go in.