Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Odometer/trip meter broken, speedometer works (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/odometer-trip-meter-broken-speedometer-works-95053/)

lucpow67 April 12th, 2019 6:40 PM

Odometer/trip meter broken, speedometer works

Hello, First time posting.
I have a 91 G30 with a 6.2 diesel, and my odometer/trip meter don't spin. the speedometer seems to work fine. The only reason this is an issue is because my gas gauge is broke, and I need some way of figuring approx. how much gas I have left. (Gas gauge broke on my s10 about 10 years ago, so I'm used to resetting the trip meter every time I fill up). I've looked everywhere to find a new cluster with no luck. So today I tried cracking the thing apart, just to see if there's any plastic parts that just broke apart inside, but am having trouble getting the actual speedometer gauge out of the cluster housing because a plastic clip (that holds the wire going in) is too big to be pulled out the front. Has anyone successfully gotten the speedo out of the unit and/or have any other ideas as to figure out my mileage? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

oilcanhenry April 15th, 2019 1:10 AM

Originally Posted by lucpow67 (Post 426202)
Hello, First time posting.
I have a 91 G30 with a 6.2 diesel, and my odometer/trip meter don't spin. the speedometer seems to work fine. The only reason this is an issue is because my gas gauge is broke, and I need some way of figuring approx. how much gas I have left. (Gas gauge broke on my s10 about 10 years ago, so I'm used to resetting the trip meter every time I fill up). I've looked everywhere to find a new cluster with no luck. So today I tried cracking the thing apart, just to see if there's any plastic parts that just broke apart inside, but am having trouble getting the actual speedometer gauge out of the cluster housing because a plastic clip (that holds the wire going in) is too big to be pulled out the front. Has anyone successfully gotten the speedo out of the unit and/or have any other ideas as to figure out my mileage? Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Not really into Vans, but there are smartphone applications that can do the work of the odometer as long as your location setting is on all the time. not an iPhone fan but lots of apps in Play Store on an Android Smartphone. I can't advise you on your odometer/trip meter since I don't know about this plastic clip thing, but I have changed out mechanical odometers before on other vehicles with no issues. If you sell your vehicle you must inform the buyer about the odo not working in most states.

quinny October 25th, 2019 10:02 AM

any luck?

Hi lucpow, did you have any luck with this? my 90 has a poorly working gas gauge and no odo also. I am going to check the fuel sender but would love to replace or fix the odo/trip also. I see there are some real pricey refurb clusters out there for the diesel.