Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Odometer/trip meter broken, speedometer works

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2019, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer/trip meter broken, speedometer works

Hello, First time posting.
I have a 91 G30 with a 6.2 diesel, and my odometer/trip meter don't spin. the speedometer seems to work fine. The only reason this is an issue is because my gas gauge is broke, and I need some way of figuring approx. how much gas I have left. (Gas gauge broke on my s10 about 10 years ago, so I'm used to resetting the trip meter every time I fill up). I've looked everywhere to find a new cluster with no luck. So today I tried cracking the thing apart, just to see if there's any plastic parts that just broke apart inside, but am having trouble getting the actual speedometer gauge out of the cluster housing because a plastic clip (that holds the wire going in) is too big to be pulled out the front. Has anyone successfully gotten the speedo out of the unit and/or have any other ideas as to figure out my mileage? Any help is gratefully appreciated.
Old April 15th, 2019, 1:10 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by lucpow67
Hello, First time posting.
I have a 91 G30 with a 6.2 diesel, and my odometer/trip meter don't spin. the speedometer seems to work fine. The only reason this is an issue is because my gas gauge is broke, and I need some way of figuring approx. how much gas I have left. (Gas gauge broke on my s10 about 10 years ago, so I'm used to resetting the trip meter every time I fill up). I've looked everywhere to find a new cluster with no luck. So today I tried cracking the thing apart, just to see if there's any plastic parts that just broke apart inside, but am having trouble getting the actual speedometer gauge out of the cluster housing because a plastic clip (that holds the wire going in) is too big to be pulled out the front. Has anyone successfully gotten the speedo out of the unit and/or have any other ideas as to figure out my mileage? Any help is gratefully appreciated.
Not really into Vans, but there are smartphone applications that can do the work of the odometer as long as your location setting is on all the time. not an iPhone fan but lots of apps in Play Store on an Android Smartphone. I can't advise you on your odometer/trip meter since I don't know about this plastic clip thing, but I have changed out mechanical odometers before on other vehicles with no issues. If you sell your vehicle you must inform the buyer about the odo not working in most states.
Old October 25th, 2019, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any luck?

Hi lucpow, did you have any luck with this? my 90 has a poorly working gas gauge and no odo also. I am going to check the fuel sender but would love to replace or fix the odo/trip also. I see there are some real pricey refurb clusters out there for the diesel.