Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding a Rear Sway Bar (3500 Extended Length)

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2019, 6:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Adding a Rear Sway Bar (3500 Extended Length)

I'm acquiring a brand new Savana 3500 extended length passenger van and I'm considering adding a rear sway. I realized that only a front sway bar exists from the factory. Not many reviews online but I did come across a Hellwig RSB that fits this application. (Hellwig 7635). Amazon has only 6 reviews, all are 5/5 stars. I've replaced a rear sway bar on my Yukon XL years ago with a beefier Hellwig. Had some noticeable improvements. But it was a replacement, not an "add-on" so it helped a little.

Has anyone done the mod? If so, did it perform as expected? Was it worth $360?

Old August 11th, 2019, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

for 360$ wouldn't be worth it for me. I rather put air springs in the back. I've seen them put in a motorhome...firmed everything up much better than a sway bar. go drive a vehicle will air springs and you'll see what i'm talking about.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 8:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm researching the same thing here:
Photog's Lifted Suspension 2009 Roadtrek 190V - Page 2 - Class B Forums
Photog's Lifted Suspension 2009 Roadtrek 190V - Page 5 - Class B Forums

I need to scootch it in between the differential and the generator.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 8:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Installed my Hellwig rear sway bar today (p#7635). A complete game changer. Initially, I was turned off with the body roll and loose rear end in turns both unloaded and towing. Now, the van just stays planted even when unloaded. I only towed my trailer 10 miles home today and the difference wasn't just "noticeable", but rather "night and day". These rsb's should be installed from the factory. The best mod I've done by far. Can't wait to tow it 400 miles next week. IMO, it now feels like a HD truck. Here are a couple of pics of the finished product.

If you're on the fence, just do it. The Amazon reviews were completely right.

Old August 23rd, 2019, 9:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Cool, if you get a chance please measure the distance between the diff cover and the bar. Hellwig states that the bar is 1-3/8" diameter which I suspect is OD. That looks like a good install, I would probably move my generator back a few inches rather than try to fit something else. My 2004 with the 6.0 V8 is like a rocket ship...on a collision course. So much power but no control.
https://www.hellwigproducts.com/prod...artnumber=7635

Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Stabilizer bars help with roll, but it's two sides of a coin. They reduce axle articulation. What does that mean? On uneven terrain your wheels are not going to maintain good pressure to the ground, and in extreme cases be left hanging in the air. This causes loss of traction. I think that's he reason they only come with a bar in the front. This is especially important on the solid rear axle, which is the drive axle and doesn't benefit from independent suspension. Roll: not comfortable for passengers, but necessary for traction. Thanks for the report. Personally, I would just make sure the springs and shocks are in good shape for a good balance of traction and comfort. I've been driving vans for years and years so I don't even notice the roll.
Old August 24th, 2019, 1:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Stabilizer bars help with roll, but it's two sides of a coin. They reduce axle articulation. What does that mean? On uneven terrain your wheels are not going to maintain good pressure to the ground, and in extreme cases be left hanging in the air. This causes loss of traction. I think that's he reason they only come with a bar in the front. This is especially important on the solid rear axle, which is the drive axle and doesn't benefit from independent suspension. Roll: not comfortable for passengers, but necessary for traction. Thanks for the report. Personally, I would just make sure the springs and shocks are in good shape for a good balance of traction and comfort. I've been driving vans for years and years so I don't even notice the roll.
Offroaders hate sway bars. Never bought the van to be in an off road outfit. (although, there is part of me that would like to upfit a 4 wheel drivetrain). Even if uneven ground permits lack of ground contact for one of the rear wheels, the G80 will do its job. Articulation isn't a high priority for most passenger and cargo van owners; nor is rock crawling.. My previous Yukon Denali had a SRA with sway bar from the factory. Upgraded the rear sway bar with a Hellwig for more control. Did a great job afterward for control of the trailer. What I think ranks high for van owners is proper ride control. With the new KYB shocks, the ride is much better for kids in the rear. Our future cross country trips and Alaska-bound adventure next year will most definitely benefit from the mod.
Old August 24th, 2019, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

Some uneven rutted out road and a bit of mud is enough to feel the difference of not having two wheels planted. I have zero intentions of rock crawling, but I do like to leave the pavement. I only have one passenger seat so ride control is not a big priority.
Old August 24th, 2019, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a person is towing a big trailer i definatly see how a swaybar would help for body roll... im glad this thread came up cause im actually been wondering if its worth me buying one for my van i pull 24ft trailer and I feel alot body roll...
Stability is very important to me....
Old August 24th, 2019, 4:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Teammuir1b
If a person is towing a big trailer i definatly see how a swaybar would help for body roll... im glad this thread came up cause im actually been wondering if its worth me buying one for my van i pull 24ft trailer and I feel alot body roll...
Stability is very important to me....
Unless you're intentionally driving over extremely uneven surfaces, I see a 2 wheel drive van as a perfect application. I crawled over a 6 inch curb this morning and all 4 wheels stayed planted. I have a longer 400 mile camping trip coming up and will test highway speeds with my pull behind. If stability is your objective, don't even think twice about it. It's a huge improvement.

Quick Reply: Adding a Rear Sway Bar (3500 Extended Length)