Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Stainless steel brake lines upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2019, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stainless steel Brake Hose lines upgrade.

Looking to upgrade my Brake Hose lines on my 2007 Chevy express Van.If anyone has upgraded their Brake Hose lines to Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines can you please forward some part numbers and information that will fit 2007 Chevy express. Thank you ��

Last edited by TheexpressVan07; August 11th, 2019 at 6:58 AM.
Old August 8th, 2019, 11:32 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting. Why would a person do this?

Is rust really an issue? I am asking so that I may openly learn something. I have driven and ridden in really old vehicles in the past. Fred Flintstone - big gapping holes in the floor board type thing. On some of them, I am sure rust was nearly the only thing holding it together. That and perhaps some compacted 40 year old dirt.
Old August 9th, 2019, 12:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know why either, braided lines is usually for race applications. It is done on high performance vehicles that have rapid extreme braking situations. Rubber lines swell a bit and can/do burst under those particular conditions.
The following users liked this post:
dberladyn (August 9th, 2019)
Old August 9th, 2019, 9:59 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

braided lines wont be really cost effective. theyre more IMO for custom jobs like on buggies or something.
Old August 9th, 2019, 6:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

I haven't seen pre-bent kits. I make my own from a roll. 2 rolls will do a vehicle about $70-90 in parts.

stainless lines are the best material but its expensive and hard to bend. I prefer cupric nickel lines...they don't rust, are easy to bend, r more expensive than steel but much cheaper than stainless.
Old August 9th, 2019, 7:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You can use the Dorman website to get details on the brake line fittings and then have them made. HEL makes a good product. They would make a great companion to the hydraboost brake system.
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Dude. Don't waste your money. If you are talking about hard lines, get the regular oem material. If you are talking about stainless covered rubber lines, just get rubber lines. Nobody is going to see it. Nobody cares what you have. Just like with kitchen plumbing, stainless braiding is only cosmetic.

Stainless hard lines are very difficult to seat the fittings. The only time I us them is in restored classic mustangs and even then, it's an overkill.
Old August 10th, 2019, 9:00 AM
I'm here for the party

i got prebent brake lines for my 02....i had to unbend them to make them fit in the truck.
Old August 10th, 2019, 9:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
i got prebent brake lines for my 02....i had to unbend them to make them fit in the truck.
How much were they? How many lines did you get.... 4 from the abs pump out to each wheel and 2 into the abs pump from the mc?
Old August 10th, 2019, 1:56 PM
I'm here for the party

its been a few years but think this was it
https://smile.amazon.com/Dorman-919-...Silverado+1500

so $75 for the kit. the front one that crossed over was the main one that had to be unbent then bent then bent back into place. might be easier when working on the frame only

think i found it a few bucks cheaper on ebay