Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 Chevy Express 3500 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2024 | 6:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default 02 Chevy Express 3500 Not Starting

Hi all,

Having an issue starting my 02 chevy express 3500. This van has been running crappy for years when I bought it. New plugs, wires, 02 sensors.

Started having issues starting last week. Finally get it started and go to work. I saw some faint smoke coming out of the hood. Thought it was maybe from pumping the peddle and flooding it.
Fast forward to Monday. No start. Spray carb cleaner into throttle body and nothing. Doesn't start. Checked and swapped pump relay with starter, same thing. Mechanic came by with scan tool and apparently couldn't pull codes probably got wiped when I had to charge battery after trying to start it.

He checked spark and said it's OK. He checked and tested injectors they work but pressure is low. He said looks like fuel pump. If it was wouldn't it have started after he and I sprayed carb cleaner into throttle body?

I don't want to go waisting money to be wrong. Any ideas on what I should check? Van has been riding rough for years so I didn't notice anything unusual when I drove it.