Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 Express 1500 v8 towing questions

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2018, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory location is the bottom of the rad, not in front like that picture.....
Old April 2nd, 2018, 6:19 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh! I DO have one of these on my car! Interesting to me that this is already installed but nothing else for towing is??

It is very possible that your van has already had some Tranny work... and the shop that did the work installed
the cooler...
with the age of your van that is not out of the question... just my 2 cents.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
It is very possible that your van has already had some Tranny work... and the shop that did the work installed
the cooler...
with the age of your van that is not out of the question... just my 2 cents.
yes maybe, I am the 3rd owner of the vehicle. I am going to take it back in to a mechanic who knows more about towing than my current one to get an opinion on whether or not I have a tranny cooler. I plan to be towing on the west coast and their will likely be some steep driving, so I really want to make sure im
not going destroy my transmission or my engine.

Old April 3rd, 2018, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
2002, did not have tow/haul mode, which only adjusts shift points.... Half ton vans do not have a tranny cooler in the towing package, only 3/4 and 1 tons do.
I would have one installed as a precaution, while getting your hitch and wiring done.
My 2002 towed great, but it had 3.73 gears. 5600 lbs was the max I think. Your may be less if you have the 3.42 gears. But should be fine on less than 5000 lbs.
mine is a passenger 5.7 L 3.73 gear ratio.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 3.73 gears eat up the hills, and my van pulled awesome. Same as yours just 2500 not 1500. I never pulled that much, but my boat loaded up would have been 3000-3500 lbs or so. Towed over all the mountain passes through southern B.C...no issues.