Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

02 gmc 5.7 van keeps blowing ecm1 fuse

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2012, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 02 gmc 5.7 van keeps blowing ecm1 fuse

had a new fuel pump put in several months ago. had it towed to shop today not running. checked fuses found ecm1 fuse blown 20 amp started up idled for 10-15 min ok good go for test drive less than50 yards quits. same fuse blown put another in starts up again turn the corner to go back half way quits again. put 30 amp fuse in starts again made it back. ran longer but did blow it again. now blows fuse fuse with just key on have disconnected almost everything (except pcm) continuty shows short to ground on hot side of fuse (pink wire) any good wiring diags would be very helpfull and or any advice
thanks john
Old May 17th, 2012, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

i am having similarr problem with 04 2500 express van. started aprox 2 months ago. vehicle has 190000 miles on it and runs fine. fuse blows, PCM IGN1 under hood at random when i pull out from a stop and begin to move several feet then she blows whenever. had van at chevy dealer, they replaced the instrument cluster, pcm module to no avail. it has blown a total of 4 fuses and now the van sits until i can find a definative answer for repairs. when it does blow here's what happens beside shutting off:
1. if you turn key to start it cranks like no fuel. shut off key and try again only dash indicator lights turn on and off as you turn key on and off, meaning the starter won't crank. you have to wait several minutes to try and crank again and then it repeats this cycle again. no one seems to know what's causing it or of hearing of this odd behavior of cranking.
Old May 18th, 2012, 9:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Post 02 gmc 5.7 van keeps blowing ecm1 fuse

Have you checked out the casing of the wires that goes from the fuel pump to fuse. If because of any reason wire's casing was melted down then it make touching with each other and could blown out the fuse repeatedly.
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

That's a possibility. A couple of years ago, I pulled out and hit bottom as I crossed the road. Van shut off, cranked like not getting fuel. I called a local Chevy dealer who ordered a tow for me to them. I kept trying to start it to no avail. After about 20 minutes of waiting, it started. I then called and cancelled the tow telling the dealer I was going to try and make it to their shop, only about one mile up the road. I made it there and van died in their lot. I left the vehicle there and came back the next day. They replaced a fuel pump. Picked up van and it ran fine for a week, then shutoff once more. I had it towed to another dealer near our shop, I was out of town when original dealer repaired it, and they too replaced the pump, but under warranty. It ran okay for a couple of days and died on me once more. They had it towed back to the dealer and found the wiring harness over the rear wheel was cut, causing the fuel pump to stop operating. They repaired it and it has run fine until now. I mentioned this to the current dealer who replaced the instrument cluster telling him what happened with the fuel pump. I am not sure if they inspected the wiring completely or not. I think it is related to the wiring harness somewhere that supplies power to the fuel pump. I told the dealer to contact GM, guess I will have to do this on my own, like I did years ago for Grand Prix I bought new and was a lemon. It was fixed correctly after I talked to the GM rep personally.

Last edited by jose emanious; May 19th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 7:41 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Blown fuse solved

hello again, meaning to post this sooner, just forgot to. I took the van to another dealer who had it fixed in a day. they ran a new fused link replacing the fuse and wiring that kept blowing, this took care of the problem. the van has been running fine for over 5-6 weeks now and no problems.