Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1979 G30 w/400. Idle Stop Solenoid circuit

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2024, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 G30 w/400. Idle Stop Solenoid circuit

I have a 1979 Chevy G30 with a 400cid. It is a Pathfinder K-Van 4x4

I am trying to work with the Idle Stop Solenoid. I seems to work if the AC is activated ok. But under what other condition does it get activated ? I have read that it is activated on non AC vehicles once the Ignition is turned on.

The carb has been rebuilt but having problems of idle dying while stopping. Have checked the float level a few times and also had the carb checked over by someone who rebuilds them. No problems found and other than the idle dying durning stopping. Carb seems to be ok. Will continue work with it.

Looking for a wiring diagram if possible. Any assistance? I know what it's function is for. Just trying to understand what and when (other than when the AC is turned on) it might orvshould get activated.

Thanks
BC
Old July 5th, 2024, 8:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The idle stop solenoid is only supposed to activate when the ignition is on. Its only purpose is to keep the throttle plates from closing completely when you release the gas pedal.

If the engine isn’t dying with the AC on, it’s likely because the additional load of running the compressor is pulling more air/fuel through the carb.

I’m not able to find a wiring diagram, but with the engine running, it should have power and ground.

To test the circuit, jumper the solenoid connector with an incandescent test light or headlight bulb. With the engine running it should be glowing brightly.