Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1989 5.7L G20- power steering to no power steering.

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2017, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 5.7L G20- power steering to no power steering.

Hi folks, new to the site.

I've been having major serpentine belt issues... correct size belts running off pulleys, smaller/tighter belts squeaking and eventually wearing out tensioner... I've replaced alt, tensioner, ps pump and now removed ax from the system.... I do a lot of camping in this truck and want it to be as simple and bullet proof as I can.

I'm now interested in removing the power steering from the equation, for a more classic/ dependable feel. My question is that I have had vans w/o power steering before and they steered with ease... when my belt has broken in they past I lost steering and it was quite harder to steer, even more so than a van w/o power steering.. is the something I need to remove or replace to have a non power steering system that works correctly?
Attached Thumbnails 1989 5.7L G20- power steering to no power steering.-img_0617.jpg  
Old April 13th, 2017, 6:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt a factory manual steering system have different castor on the front wheels, different steering components etc? Its not as simple as just going without a power steering pump.
Old April 13th, 2017, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Manual steering*

No your probably right, the terminology helped... after googling "manual steering" vs non power steering or power steering bypass I got a lot of results. There is more to it than I thought. I did not find any conversions sold for vans though so I guess I could try the junkyard but I don't come by manual steering vans that often.
Old April 14th, 2017, 7:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanshaman
No your probably right, the terminology helped... after googling "manual steering" vs non power steering or power steering bypass I got a lot of results. There is more to it than I thought. I did not find any conversions sold for vans though so I guess I could try the junkyard but I don't come by manual steering vans that often.
I think one is avialable, don't know if the pitman arm and linkages are interchangeable though. With a P/S box your trying to push a hydraulic cylinder, and trying to force the oil pass the valving and check valves.
1989 Chevrolet Van Manual Steering Gear Box

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/att...1&d=1492173316
Attached Thumbnails 1989 5.7L G20- power steering to no power steering.-screen-shot-2017-04-14-8.25.40-am.png  

Last edited by Twscarp; April 14th, 2017 at 7:40 AM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Are all of your pulleys in alignment with each other? One of them just being off a little bit can cause your belt to run off.
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Hey thanks carp, nice find & definitely a start.
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Old chevy: when I look at the pulleys with the belt off, my power steering pump pulley was the only one that just a **** hair off. I bought a new pump and pulley with a larger lip. When I installed them the tiny difference was still barely visible. I can't imagine how the bracket which is one giant bracket serving multiple components could get bent... it's thick steel. So at this point I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone in removing the possible power steering pulley culprit and increasing dependability with a manual system.