Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2017, 2:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking out my thread. I have a 1990 GMC rally van with push button handles for the rear barn doors. I Pushed the button to open the latch and the button just pushed all the way into the door and did not return. I took off the inside door panel and managed to open the door manually pushing the rods on the hinge. It looks like the plate behind the button spring used to be attached to the handle but broke? The button now opens the door until I lock it and the spring pops over the plate pushing the rods that release the door latches. I have attached photos for clarity (sorry, I cant figure out how to rotate them) . Anyone know an easy fix or somewhere to replace the parts?

There is also a large welded hole in the door with a piece of wood in it...someones old stash box ha ha? What can that be for? Speculation welcome.

Thanks!
Attached Images     
Old June 26th, 2017, 7:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about your door latch, but I have also had a problem with the photo's orientation. The only way I have found (on a Mac), is after you attach them in your post, is to take a screenshot of the picture, then in Mac Preview it can be rotated, take another screenshot with the correct orientation, then drag those into the "Attach Files". Then delete the first ones on your post.
Attached Thumbnails 1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement-screen-shot-2017-06-26-7.47.38-pm.png   1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement-screen-shot-2017-06-26-7.50.25-pm.png   1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement-screen-shot-2017-06-26-7.55.16-pm.png   1990 GMC rally van rear door handle replacement-screen-shot-2017-06-26-7.56.35-pm.png