Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1995/96 G30 common problems?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2020, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the full set of GM factory service manuals for the 96 Chevy Express, if you’re interested. My 96 Express was totaled a few yrs ago and I replaced it with an 02 Express. I have a FSM for the 02 Express, so the 96 Express FSM needs a good home.
PM me if you’re interested.

Peter
Old June 16th, 2020, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang it, wish I'd seen this sooner...I just bought an FSM on eBay. Thank you though!
Old April 22nd, 2022, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Updates!

Originally Posted by jlevers
Hey all, first time poster here. I'm going to look at a '95 and a '96 G30 tomorrow with about 135k miles on each of them. Are there any common problems with these vans I should watch out for? They both have 350s in them, so I'm guessing I don't have much to worry about with the engines at that mileage.

Thanks!

Hey man just wondering how everythings been with the van since you bought it. I'm about to buy one for the same price and 140k on it and just wanting to see if you had any issues. Thanks man!
Old April 22nd, 2022, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Well...yeah, definitely had a couple problems lol

The biggest one was just that it was outrageously rusty -- I basically redid the entire floor, and there was still tons of rust. I was able to get it usable (put a floor in, replaced the front brakes, wheel bearings, tires, etc) and started driving it across the country with a friend. We made it from MA to South Dakota with basically no issues, until we blew the tranny on the highway. I think we just were going too fast for too long in too hot of weather, and the transmission overheated. Ended up selling it to some random dude in a Walmart parking lot for $100

But, if yours isn't rusty and you don't go 85mph for several hours in the heat, you should be fine! Best of luck
Old April 29th, 2022, 10:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

For what it's worth the 1996 G30 is the "Classic" van and a manual for an Express/Savana isn't going to help much there.

I had a 1995 G30 and the only real issue was rust. The tune on the chip on these isn't as good as prior years, when I replaced it with a 1991 I went from 12 to 15 MPG; both 350s, similar gearing.

I bought it with no cat or downpipes on it and that was where I ran into some issues. For some reason GM used the same manifolds as pickups on these years, which dump at about a 45' angle, and use an expensive one piece converter/downpipe setup. But the Y-pipes I ordered from Rock Auto came intended for the earlier manifolds which dump straight down, and were apparently still used on cutaway vans and larger van-based trucks.

I ended up going to the junkyard and buying a set of the other manifolds and changing them out. Rock Auto wouldn't let me return the one Y-pipe, I already had a generic converter, it was just cheaper. But it was frustrating.

I drove that one until it rotted through the frame rails by the rear upper shock bolts. They rot there particularly on the right because the fuel line runs across there and that will hold moisture and salt on the outside of the rail. But if you wanted you could patch them, it's unibody and just sheetmetal.

1995 has a lot of one year only bits, and 1996 I'm not sure if they continue to be OBD-1 or they have upgraded electronics.

Last year I picked parts off a 1995 in the junkyard that had 293,000 miles showing on it and was marked run/drive on the sides. It was just rusted and pretty well worn.