Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1998 Chevy Express Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2020, 5:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Express Fuel Pump Replacement

This is not meant to be a DIY, just some observations on my fuel pump replacement experience. Since buying the Corona Van a few months ago we had been experiencing the following issues:
1) Intermittent no start
2) Noisy fuel pump, and sometimes silent fuel pump...
3) Incorrect fuel indication - I had already had the gauge cluster refurbished so I was reasonably sure the gauge was good.

The van has ~144K miles on it and I have no maintenance history. So, based on those gripes I decided to pull the tank and replace the pump. With the vehicle on ramps, jack stands, and wood blocks, I was able to get the tank out from under the vehicle on a transmission jack.

All connections fuel and electrical can be disconnected from the front of tank, and once the filler hose clamp is released, the tank dropped out pretty easily. The two bolts holding the straps are pretty long and help while removing, but are especially helpful when reinstalling the tank.

The tank itself sits in a pretty nice and heft plastic tray which also holds the fuel filter and charcoal canister. I did clean the tank out with water and Simple Green, rinsed it, and dried it out thoroughly.

Here is a pic of the old but clearly not original fuel pump.

One thing I did find was that the fuel pump wiring harness had been pinched between the fuel tank and the frame rail, The wires were somewhat flattened but looked "okay" to me. Upon reinstallation, I was careful to make sure the harness did not get pinched again. Since reinstalling the tank the van runs great with no starting issues and no screaming fuel pump. However, the gauge is still not working and I suspect my "visual inspection" of the wiring harness was insufficient.

I regret not splicing in new wiring runs when I had the tank out, and sometime in the near future, I will be partially dropping the tank to get at that harness and fix it properly. Overall, the job was not mission impossible. Getting the van up high enough and having a transmission jack were both key in easily being able to get the tank out and to get it placed properly for reinstallation. There are some good videos on youTube that helped out a bunch and I watched them many times before getting under the van.
Old May 12th, 2020, 7:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

What brand of pump did you put in? With the work involved it doesn't pay to use a cheap aftermarket pump. Delco and Delphi are the best and last longer.
Old May 12th, 2020, 8:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by oldchevy
What brand of pump did you put in? With the work involved it doesn't pay to use a cheap aftermarket pump. Delco and Delphi are the best and last longer.
That's good advice; thank you for your feedback.
Old May 13th, 2020, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick, Does the new pump make a noise that you can hear standing outside of the van or is it silent? I would like to know what a normal healthy pump sounds like as mine (in a 2000 3500) makes some noise that I can hear from about 10 feet away.
Old May 14th, 2020, 6:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by john2000
Rick, Does the new pump make a noise that you can hear standing outside of the van or is it silent? I would like to know what a normal healthy pump sounds like as mine (in a 2000 3500) makes some noise that I can hear from about 10 feet away.
John, I will get out in the driveway sometime today and take a video so you can hear for yourself.
Old May 14th, 2020, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by john2000
John, that fuel pump is just like me: swift, silent, and deadly...