Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1998 Express G3500 No A/C?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 Express G3500 No A/C?

sup fellas?

So my 1998 Express G3500 1 Ton 15 Passenger van does not blow a/c. I'm sure this is nothing new to a few of you, but i'm down to ask what else I need to check before I buy unnecessary items regarding my A/C.

First off: the van is a CA van, and it has approx. 105,781k original miles.
It has dual (twin) a/c compressors with rear control
The system is full of Freon (R134a) with a freon meter of 45 (just under the "alert" before the a/c system having too much R134a).
Clutch engages when A/C turns on.
A/C Fuses are ok (not blown)
A/C Cycling switch appears to be fine...

so my question is; since this does have dual compressors, does this van have an orifice tube, or does it have an expansion valve - because of the dual-control?

or is my problem somewhere else?

my digital thermometer reads the a/c at 109 when inserted through the duct vents. keep in mind I now reside in Dallas, TX (I miss San Diego!)

therefore.... any feedback, comments, suggestions, are greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Old July 19th, 2011, 1:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how do you know the system is charged? if the compressor and clutch are on then you are just not getting air distribution?

1. 1 compressor and 2 evaporators. 1 control panel, 2 blower motors and resistor blocks.

your car, has electronic climate control. So if the panel is no good then AC never received power on function.

the rear AC is always on Recirc that why there are NO blend door functions in the rear.

There is an AC relay in the relay block that may have failed.

I think air distribution is your problem. 1 or 2 of your blend door motors have failed. Electronically controlled. Probably stuck closed preventing air flow passed the evaporator and recirculation of air.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 1:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks RacerX,

I checked the freon levels with a gauge (not the cheap ones that come with the freon bottles, but an actual stand-alone freon gauge). its full up to 45 psi.

the a/c compressor & clutch engages when the a/c is turned on (either a/c or max a/c) on the control panel in the front of the dash of the van.

I will replace the a/c relay and see if that does anything. If not I have no choice but to try and replace the blower motor(s) or, just the blower motor resistor(s).

how hard are they to access? i'm assuming they are behind the passenger side underneat the dash?
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

resistor block and blower motor will be in the same place. at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. might access from in the car or in the engine area. Not sure. 3 small screws and the cover comes off. Do you hear the fan run when the AC is on? I have to replace my fan also. Yesterday it cut out on me and it was hot. RockAuto is a good source. Resistors only permit fan to work on 1 or 2 speeds when they go bad, usually LOW or HIGH only.