Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 2500 5.7L, questions

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2017, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 2500 5.7L, questions

Hi all,

I purchased this van in October of last year, 2 owners and the last owner purchased it from a dealer and kept all service records. Has 127K on the clock now and I've put almost 10K on it in the past year, it has been a fantastic vehicle! Interior is lined with plywood and insulation foam on the walls so the ride is relatively quiet compared to the stripped ones. The PO had a big toolbox in there that I yanked out because this van will live a relatively mellow life filled with weekend adventures to go fly model airplanes and the occasional road trip out of state. We just got back from a road trip to Washington in fact (2,600 miles total!) and she drove without a single hiccup, but the thing that bugs me the most is the lack of cruise control!! Not a horrible thing for driving around town, but when you're doing 90mph through some of the LONG interstates through Nevada for hours at a time, cruise would be much appreciated.

What I would like to know is what will it take to add cruise to this van? There is no cruise actuator under the hood, nor cable for it, and the turn signal stalk has no cruise options on it. Do I literally just need an actuator, a cable, and a cruise enabled turn stalk? Is there specific part numbers I need to search for or are a lot of them universal? I'd like to stay factory, I don't want to go hacking away at wiring under the dash to fit an aftermarket module if I don't have to.

Another question I have is are there different mirrors I can fit to it that have the large wide angle mirrors on the bottom (like tow mirrors on many trucks these days)? It has bubble mirrors on it now but they just aren't cutting it at night and I avoid lane changes as much as possible at night. I would like something that looks relatively factory.

Also one more question, for some reason my high beam flash has decided to stop working when the DRL's are on. I distinctively remember being able to do it before. High beams work fine when the lights are switched on, but no such luck with DRL.

Anyways, she drives and runs smooth as butter. A recent inspection showed no signs of leaks anywhere which I'd say is pretty good for a nearly 20 year old vehicle. I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for now I'll leave you with a few photos, including my interior light mod since the stock lights are weaksauce.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 2500 5.7L, questions-received_10211548518935512.jpeg   1999 2500 5.7L, questions-20170411_194619.jpg   1999 2500 5.7L, questions-20170411_194633.jpg  

Last edited by XpressCS; September 9th, 2017 at 4:32 PM.
Old September 12th, 2017, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

I looked here (link below) and it looks like your best bet is an aftermarket kit for cruise control. The rosta aftermarket kit I installed in my '12 Accent wasn't too bad to install and works just fine. I was fortunate that my '07 Express only needed a cruise control enabled stock to make it work.

1997-2002 Chevy Express Van Cruise Control Upgrade Kit
Old September 13th, 2017, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by northey87
I looked here (link below) and it looks like your best bet is an aftermarket kit for cruise control. The rosta aftermarket kit I installed in my '12 Accent wasn't too bad to install and works just fine. I was fortunate that my '07 Express only needed a cruise control enabled stock to make it work.

1997-2002 Chevy Express Van Cruise Control Upgrade Kit
I did see that kit and I'm not 100% opposed to it, but why wouldn't factory components work? Is there additional programming to the ECM required?