Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1999 Express 1500 5.0L PCM

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2010, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Express 1500 5.0L PCM

I have a very similar problem to what this guy had.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-savana-g-series-vans-30/2002-chevy-g1500-express-van-16889/

Seems electrical, when it happens the transmission will not shift, and if rolling the speedo will drop out. Also it seems to trigger the ABS warning light, once I got engine code VSS open or intermittent but most of the time that code dosen't come up.
I'm guessing that there is a bad connector somewhere but I can't find a schematic.

Anyone got any ideas or may point me to a schematic.

Thanks Bretware
Old September 13th, 2010, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this info on the VORTEC Wiring Harness

Funny how I got the VSS code and they are the only wires in the harness that are twisted. After seeing that it was a stright shoot from the PCM to the VSS I started ripping into the harness from the firewall back. I found all the wires in the harness sticking together a little near the exhaust pipe but after pulling each one apart I didn't see anything deep enough to cause a problem. Following the harness, when I got to the PNP switch connector I found the insulation dried out and crumbing only a 1/4 inch from the connector, it looked fine from the front, but the backside had bare wire. It's so close to the mounting bracket a bump or some left hand turns would gound it, and freak out the PCM, taking out the VSS,ABS and preventing transmission solenoid operation.
I found many very similar issues posted around the web but never an explanation, hope this info helps the next guy.

Good luck
Bretware

Last edited by bretware; September 13th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.