Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2000 express crank/no start

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2023 | 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Post 2000 express crank/no start

Hello peeps...So I picked up a Express 3500 5.7 cutaway. Started working on my new van (yeah new to me). Anyway I was installing a new radio and the key was all messed up could not get the acc to work so i installed a new key/lock cylinder. Started a few times was good. I just was buttoning up the dash and went to start and it starts for only a little bit and quits. I smell gas so its not the pump. So im thinking its the security system is a fault. I have no codes cuz the batt was been disconnected. The Security light does not light up at all. I think that's where the problem lies. I disconnected the new stereo and plugged bank in the old. No change, I put back in the old key/lock cylinder No change. I have been looking for somehow to check components before I throw the wallet at it. I believe the system I have is the Pass Lock. (There is no piece of rice in the key). I have checked all the fuses, the 20 amp to parking brake fuse was blown. soon as put that in the dash lights for night driving work. I just went and looked again trying to start and there are no engine lights that fire up right away also. I also wiggled the wires and looked for lose connections. The wiring has not been butchered. I drove this truck only for one hour so i dont know what lights are supposed to flash when you turn the key to start. Is there another fuse box? Maybe a relay I could check? not sure where to go from here?
Old May 21st, 2023 | 4:15 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sometinaintright
I smell gas so its not the pump.
smell test is insufficient. Pump needs to maintain a certain pressure. Measure it with a gauge.

The Security light does not light up at all.... trying to start and there are no engine lights that fire up right away
You mean not even during the power on lamp test? You may have an issue in the ignition switch, cluster or wiring harness (grounds etc.)

So im thinking its the security system is a fault.
A diagnostic scanner would confirm that.

Is there another fuse box?
two. One under the hood, and one under the driver's seat.
The following users liked this post:
Pourgirl_gone_hiking (May 21st, 2023)
Old May 21st, 2023 | 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Arrow Thank you for the suggestion

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
smell test is insufficient. Pump needs to maintain a certain pressure. Measure it with a gauge.

You mean not even during the power on lamp test? You may have an issue in the ignition switch, cluster or wiring harness (grounds etc.)

Yes, I Get no Mil lights, It did before, is there a inline fuse possibly or a ground to specific to look for under the dash. I seen a utube vid of a guy re grounding the underside of his van.

A diagnostic scanner would confirm that.

two. One under the hood, and one under the driver's seat.
I checked all fuses under the hood and at driver kick panel.
Pourgirl_gone_hiking (May 21st, 2023)
Old May 23rd, 2023 | 8:38 AM
CF Beginner

Talking Follow up-Got it

I checked all fuses under the hood and at driver kick panel.
Well figured out the problem, I had the cluster checked out and that was fine, went back and replaced every fuse in the kick panel and under the hood. No change, I probed every fuse with light and seemed ok. Figured I would try a volt meter on every one.Sure enough 3 of the 10's the fuse were bad from brand new. Replaced those and truck started right up. Note: I did not even have the cluster hooked up, put that back in and all lights/gauges work. Hopefully this will help someone else out.
mountainmanjoe (May 23rd, 2023)
Old June 5th, 2023 | 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

This is the 3rd or 4th NO CRANK/No-Start I've seen posted in the past several weeks. What is going on? Sunspots?

You didn't mention which fuses you found as a "problem" in the underhood fuse box.
A fellow posted on FB a similar situation. He found the "culprit" to be the start/Crank fuse.
It is number 64 in the following diagram (disregard the ABS fuses highlighted - - I'm trying to solve that damn dash light!)

Cheers - Jim

Last edited by phantomjock; June 5th, 2023 at 6:57 AM.