Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 Express 2500 No fuel pressure new fuel pump and filter

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018 | 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

Question 2002 Express 2500 No fuel pressure new fuel pump and filter

Does anyone know what else I can do? I have a 2002 Express 2500 van with a 5.0/305 engine. I recently experienced starting problems and determined the fuel pump wasn't working properly so I replaced it and it seemed to work fine, at least for one day. Now on day 2 it is doing the exact same thing; not working.
Old February 28th, 2018 | 2:53 PM
Super Moderator

fuses would be a good place to start
Old February 28th, 2018 | 6:43 PM
CF Veteran

I have heard stories about aftermarket pump failing or being faulty. Especially if you put the old fuel back in, or loosened some sediment in the tank during the reinstall.....
If you have power at the pump when you turn on the key, and you dont hear it cycle, then try the rubber mallet to the underside of the tank....if that works, the pump is faulty.
Old February 28th, 2018 | 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

I have checked the fuses and you can feel the relay "click" when the key is turned on.
Old February 28th, 2018 | 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

canucklehead

I put the new pump in and then drove it about 150 miles and all was fine. When I got home and turned it off and then tried to restart it it was acting just like the old pump so I'm thinking it wasn't a pump problem to begin with. I was reading in another post about a Hot Fuel Module but it was a later model van. Do you know if my van would have one of these and where it would be located if it does? There is no mention of an HFM in the owners manual. The fuses look good and the relay "clicks" when the key is turned on.
Old February 28th, 2018 | 8:30 PM
CF Veteran

If the relay clicks, but no run at the pump, then you need to get in there and get a test light at the pump. If you key on, and the test light goes on a few seconds then goes out......the pump isnt working.
There should be a 3-5 second run to prime the system at key on.....
not sure about fuel module.
The fuel system on the new vans with the Ls engines is very different
Old February 28th, 2018 | 8:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ric ONeal
canucklehead

I put the new pump in and then drove it about 150 miles and all was fine. When I got home and turned it off and then tried to restart it it was acting just like the old pump so I'm thinking it wasn't a pump problem to begin with. I was reading in another post about a Hot Fuel Module but it was a later model van. Do you know if my van would have one of these and where it would be located if it does? There is no mention of an HFM in the owners manual. The fuses look good and the relay "clicks" when the key is turned on.
Hi, can you hear the pump pressurizing the fuel line when you turn the key to "on"? Will it start if you squirt starting fluid in the intake tube? Can you put a fuel pressure gauge on and see the pressure with the key on, (or if running)? Did you purchase an economy pump, or a standard Delphi or AC Delco? How many miles on the van?