Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2002 GMC Savana 1500 Conversion Van - Alternator

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 GMC Savana 1500 Conversion Van - Alternator

I'm chasing an alternator / charging issue that should, of course, have been a very simple fix. I believe I've narrowed it down to what appears to be an inline fusible link in the main power feed between the (+) battery and the alternator.

QUESTION 1: Harness - can the (+) harness be purchased as an assembly so that I can replace all 3 of the heavy gauge wires coming off the (+) side of the battery (starter, alternator, fuse box)? If so, anyone know a part number and course?

QUESTION 2: Fusible Links - can anyone point me to a part number and source for the individual fusible links on the 3 heavy gauge wires?

Thanks for the help
Old Yesterday, 1:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know the specific part numbers, but it appears 3rd parties stock things like the battery cable, starter cable, and alternator cables:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ery+cable,2500

May not have all you need, but its a start.
Old Yesterday, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jfmorris
I don't know the specific part numbers, but it appears 3rd parties stock things like the battery cable, starter cable, and alternator cables:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ery+cable,2500

May not have all you need, but its a start.
@jfmorris , thanks for the reply and info. Yeah, I looked on RockAuto to see if they carried something close to the OEM 3-wire harness. I just saw individual replacement cables like one might find at the local auto parts store.

I'm looking for the 3-wire harness, with the fusible links in them. I can't figure out what the amperage rating of those links is via Google search. So was hoping buying OEM would get me there

I just picked up some ATC fuse holders and 30A fuses from the hardware store. I have some smaller fuses at home (15A, 20A, etc) and will start with those. I'm just going to cut the fusible links out of the OEM harness and solder / heat shrink these new fuse holders in. That SHOULD fix the problem - fingers crossed.