Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Chevy Express Strange Speaker Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2015, 5:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Express Strange Speaker Problem

OK, I am dealing with a strange problem with my stereo speakers that I thought I'd run by y'all. A couple years back I had an aftermarket pioneer radio installed. It's worked well up until recently. What I am experiencing is that the rear speakers don't work when the vehicle is running (i.e. once the van has been started). I noticed that when the vehicle is running I only get sound from the front speakers, but as soon as I park and turn the van off suddenly all speakers are working as expected.

What I'm wondering is am I looking at just a simple issue with the head unit, or is this a symptom of a deeper issue that I'm missing (perhaps something like an ignition switch that's going)?
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

perhaps some of the charging circuit is getting into the head unit and frying the rear channel.......I would check your wiring.
Old October 17th, 2015, 5:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I feel like a complete jackwagon. After days and days of checking wiring I had finally just given up. Then this afternoon I was cleaning the van and while in the back I remembered that there's a switch that shuts off the sound from the head unit to the rear speakers so that you can play the TV/DVD player or game console and get sound through the rear speakers. Someone must have flipped that switch a couple months back. I flipped it back to the proper position and voila I have sound coming through all the speakers again.
Old October 18th, 2015, 1:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like something I would do. At least you owned up to it and the rest of us don't have to fear intermittent rear speakers. However, having said that, I removed mine.

Glad to hear it's fixed.