Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Express 1500 Running Too Hot at Highway Speeds

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2016, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I read that you had a flush. However my advice is because do you trust that the flush and refill was done right?
Have you removed the rad cap and checked?
I bet the lowest apprentice on the totem pole got the rad fill job.....
Old February 29th, 2016, 5:50 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I read that you had a flush. However my advice is because do you trust that the flush and refill was done right?
While I do trust that they did the job right (I've used this particular dealer for years), I do believe you are right and it wouldn't hurt to check. I'll go ahead and check this afternoon.
Old February 29th, 2016, 1:20 PM
CF Veteran

I'm still voting its a radiator flow problem....if it was in my bay i'd be pulling the radiator and making sure its not externally clogged then putting a hose in it and make sure it flows good.
Old February 29th, 2016, 8:15 PM
CF Veteran

Yup, the flush could have moved some crud into a spot where it is impeding flow....
Old March 11th, 2016, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
So, yesterday after getting back from running errands I noticed that there was something dripping under the vehicle. Got down and took a look and saw that there was coolant that had come out of the vent tube connected to the overflow tank. This struck me as quite odd and immediately led me to think about the rad cap. So, this morning I walked down to the auto parts store and picked up a new cap. Put the cap on and then took her out for a nice long drive. Low and behold the temp stayed exactly where it should the entire time. So, looks like the cap was the culprit. Thanks to all of your for your help.
Old March 11th, 2016, 4:26 PM
CF Veteran

Nice. Thanks for the update. I sure wish the guys that did the flush had pressure tested the cap. I thought that was a must when doing a rad flush.