Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 express 2500 - need help with tail light harness

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2017, 4:25 PM
cyg
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 express 2500 - need help with tail light harness

trying to locate a gm (or 3rd party) part number for the right rear tail lamp harness. i need the part that connects to the connector inside the van then passes through the body via a bulkead fitting and splits off into TWO (2) (dos) [for the love of GOD TWO!!!] bulb sockets. ive been searching all damn day online and everything is for suburban or silverado or some friggin spaceship....and they have 3+ bulb sockets......the 03 uses 3157 blade bulbs back there.

tonkin online has a diagram of the tail light assembly and they actually show the harness and have labeled it item #12 but......they dont list it in the parts list. or mention it.

dorman website ZERO help. everybody else...ZERO

what the hell?

sorry for the rant but i have no blinker back there and its driving me nuts. im a courier and need to get it fixed asap!

before anyone mentions....everything else has been checked. all fuses under the hood. all fuses under the sear. i tried 42,942,910 new bulbs. the relays under the dash are working. left side front and rear system all good (turn, hazard and brake too) right side front all good. righ rear turn NADA. dash indicators operate normally for hazards....operate normally for LEFT turn. fast blink for RIGHT turn.

i see no corrosion in the socket...i see no cuts in the wiring (for this socket there is a black wire and a green wire.....these are sistered to the lower bulb socket via the harness.

so i wanted to grab a new harness (not the main rear harness just the right side extension that goes through body into tail lamp assembly) but i cannot for the life of me FIND A REFERENCE TO THE PART NUMBER....even as i mentioned above having found its image.....

any help would be appreciated.....

(also, im trying to eliminate the actual switch on the steering column as a source....doesnt appear to have a mechanical issue but i dont know if that is all there is to it).

thanks

image attached
Attached Thumbnails 2003 express 2500 - need help with tail light harness-050131tg02-739.jpg  
Old July 29th, 2017, 5:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't think they want you to know. I tried my three "go to"sites (Rock, GMPartsDirect, and GMPartsCenter), and all three omit the P/N for that harness. I'm afraid you'll have to call your local dealer.

You can, however, get the entire assy(housing, bulbs, and harness) for about $130. Yikes!!!
Old July 29th, 2017, 6:07 PM
cyg
CF Beginner

used to be that id just run to the pick and pull and get what i need but the insurance companies and their snowflake minions have seen to that....at least here in the peoples republic of new jerseystan.

i checked rockauto...they are typically my goto....they show the connector only...im guessing it has bare wire leads but the pics dont help...i dont want to cut any wires just yet....

the other two sites (which i keep checking to make sure im not crazy)...werent helpful...

interesting you mention the whole assembly .... i havent seen that listed anywhere in my searches...i hope it dont come to that but....do you have a part number or website i can put eyeballs on it?

a call to a dealer seems in order as you say but i prefer the dentist. thank you for the reply though

anyone else wanna chime in? im not above groveling.
Old July 29th, 2017, 9:27 PM
CF Veteran

Here's the link to GMPartsDirect;
TAIL LAMPS for 2003 Chevrolet Express 2500

Usually, when you get a plug, the innards aren't installed, so you can crimp the pieces to the wire, and then insert them in the plastic, or they come with pigtails. You might have some luck at a junkyard as well.
Old July 30th, 2017, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to take aparts and re-wire my backup socket on my 02. You may try to see where the issue is. Do you have power at the wire right behind the socket? Otherwise I would just get an aftermarket socket and cut and splice. Finding the whole part could be a time waster. Also as mentioned above.....junkyard/auto wrecker is your friend.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 4:36 PM
cyg
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I was able to take aparts and re-wire my backup socket on my 02. You may try to see where the issue is. Do you have power at the wire right behind the socket? Otherwise I would just get an aftermarket socket and cut and splice. Finding the whole part could be a time waster. Also as mentioned above.....junkyard/auto wrecker is your friend.
somewhere along the way i read that there is a slight difference between the 02 and 03 forward. cant recall what.

i went to three local junkyards (no more pick and pull) and they said they had a tail light but .... no guarantee that the sockets work, i was told i could not test and... they dont sell the housing and harness separate...in fact they said they CUT the housing from the wire...which is flat out ridiculous considering the connector to unplug the damn thing is RIGH THERE...and BONUS!!!! no returns....so i filed that load of BS under "screw these idiots"...

as far as i can tell...the socket itself is bad in some way. perhaps internally where the wire connects to the pins. or maybe one of the blades are broken. nothing with regard to these two is visually obvious. i dont see any corrosion.

the connector inside the van had some dust bunnies inside of it (amazingly) so i cleaned that out. i put a multimeter on the main harness pins in that connector and was seeing voltage....and i could see the voltage go back and forth when i activated the blinker. but it was a quick and dirty test and i couldnt see well. the readings were different when i tested the blades inside the socket after reconnecting the smaller harness. not sure how to interperet the numbers just yet. i grabbed a circuit probe tester and when weather clears ill do a better test...having said that, im pretty sure the socket is bad....

which is why this is so frustrating because i cant just get a new socket or that harness and go from there.

i see these sockets all over the internet but nothing is confirmable as being the right one...as soon as i enter vehicle info....bam...all disappear.

its a freakin 3157 bulb socket for the love of pete. on common vehicle. there should be 50,000 hits on amazon for it.

dont even get me started about the call to my local chevy dealer....lol

so...ill stop whining now....

waiting for the monsoon to stop so i can go fiddlefart some more
Old August 3rd, 2017, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Where are you? I was at a junkyard in Bowie Maryland on Monday(picking and pulling) and saw dozens of these harnesses. They didn't have what I needed. It stymies me to think that out of 12 vans, not one had a complete jack kit, and only one had any jack at all. I just got my '16, and 3 pieces are missing from the jack pouch. And I don't want to think how much a dealer wants for them. The discount GM websites want almost $200.00 for three pieces of stamped steel.

But if the voltage is different from the harness and the socket, there is where the problem is. But it could be the socket, or it could be the connection of the wire in to the socket or the harness plug. I don't know if they ship, but it's worth a try. Here's a link;

https://www.brandywineparts.com/loca...e-truck-parts/

I'd offer to go out there for you, but it's a two hour round trip, and I have no time. Besides, I'm still pissed they didn't have a jack for me
Old October 13th, 2017, 4:11 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up the tail light harnesses on EBAY.
Old October 13th, 2017, 5:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STAN VAN
I can get a jack for you ... GEEZE man.. why didnt you say something.. lol

I know for sure there are at least 3 more left.. I bought 1 for my van
I thought it was wild that my van didnt have one ... so of course..
I went to my bud's junk yard... I am going tomorrow for ( Chris Lieberman )
on the other post....

cyg if you want I can see if there are harnesses there too...

DANG... I have PAY PAL... I will just open my own I pull for you store.. LMAO...
Old October 14th, 2017, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

I believe I did say something. In August, before you joined up.

It's okay. The pieces I'm missing are the handle, and the piece that fits in to the jack. I have a bottle jack to get it in to the air, and can use an adjustable wrench to lower the tire from the winch.

But thanks. Considering I have usable work a round's, I have other issues more pressing to deal with. Like baby proofing for my grandson, who's coming tomorrow night.