Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

2003 Express - tail light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2012, 3:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2003 Express - tail light bulbs

I have a left rear turn signal bulb out.

The vinyl top corner panel is not as illustrated in the manual. There is not access to remove outside edge screws. From what i can see there may be some plastic clips holding it down instead.

Anyone know the trick for releasing the clips to access the tail light assembly to CHANGE A BULB?

2003 Chevy Express 3500
Old January 6th, 2012, 3:14 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default access to rear signal assembly

1) Remove the top corner trim panel.
2) Remove two inboard nuts.
3) The outside is held on by two trim clips attached to rotating slip connections attached to a bar by pins. The bar is held to the body by nuts on bolts.
- Lift the two inboard holes over the bolt ends and attend to this while doing the next steps as the corner trim cover is tensioned to fall back onto the bolts.
-- Unclip the top first by rotating it to the outside. I used a long flat head screw driver to push on the cover plastic from the inside - a narrow wood slat would probably work. (I would not want to do this in cold weather as the force feels like it could break the plastic before releasing the clips).
-- Unclip the bottom by pushing it up at approx. a 45 degree angle. I again used the screw driver to help it off.
3) Remove the nuts holding down the signal assembly, replace bulbs and reset.
-- Attach the signal assembly on the bottom pin set on top of the body bracket and secure the top outboard nut over the assembly flange and bar holding the slip connections. Adjust to be flush with the body and clear the door.
4) Install the top plastic corner panel.
5) The trim panel clips slide over the white slotted 'H' sections pins. Note these 'H' sections are not symmetrical and need to be rotated to match the narrow and wide sides of the clips. Bottom hung correctly the top had to be rotated 180 from gravity position.
- Slide the bottom clip down over the white 'H' section at a 45 degree angle.
- Rotate the top back in over its 'H' section.
-- Both will snap (thunk actually) into place.
5) Secure the remaining inboard nuts. The plastic corner trim nuts washers are smaller than the signal assembly nut washers.
Old January 8th, 2012, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great question....<O</O
I just went through this problem with my 2011 Express. I had the misfortune of attempting this in the cold. It was not pretty....<O></O>
I could not disengage the two outboard birdsbeak plastic fasteners on the applique for the life of me. I was hearing some snap crackle and pop noises while attempting to do this. At this time I could feel my blood pressure rising and at the same time wondering who and the heck designed this…<O</O
My next move was to hacksaw the plastic birdsbeak fasteners in order to get the appliqué off to gain access to the bulb.(I was on a mission to replace the bulb now at whatever cost) Again thinking.. who designed this… I then was committed to replace the fasteners but at least I got the appliqué off and was able to access the bulb. I reinstalled everything minus the appliqué.<O</O
The next day I went right to the service department to complain about the crappy design. The service manager new all about my problem and felt my pain.<O</O
He advised to leave the two outboard birdsbeak fasteners in the appliqué alone and rotate the appliqué outboard just enough to allow you to then rotate the taillamp asm enough to access the bulb. Keep in mind they are doing this inside where temperatures are warm. I would proceed with caution if doing this in cold weather. <O</O
With that being said, cutting the fasteners with the hacksaw was not that bad if you are in a cold weather situation. Just plan on driving without the appliqué until you get the new fasteners. Go slow, be careful and good luck.<O</O