Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2003 Express Van Conversion by Southern Comfort-start problem

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2007, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Express Van Conversion by Southern Comfort-start problem

For no apparent reason my van intermittently refuses to start. It's been happening since it was about 1.5 years old. Dealer couldn't find problem, because it can't be duplicated. I cannot make it not start. It just decides once in a while not to start. The lights come on on the dash, but it won't engage the starter at all. It's not the battery, it's not the engine. I can put it in neutral, tug both ways on the steering wheel, use brake, not use brake when turning key, etc.Get frustrated, slam the door, not slam the door. Never has the same thing caused it to start twice. I can work with it for anywhere from <1 minute to >10 minutes, and just for no apparent reason, it will engage and start. Has anyone else had this problem? Warranty is up, and I have a side door that won't open from inside or outside, so I'll take it to a local van repair shop. I'm thinking of having them rewire the ignition. Really frustrating, especially when it's hot inside the vehicle!! Thanks.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Professional Mechanic

Default RE: 2003 Express Van Conversion by Southern Comfort-start problem

Sounds like it could be a loose ground somewhere in the ign/starter system. I would also check the wires going to the ECM to see if there is any worn through insulation on any of the wires. There could also be some corrosion building up on the fuel pump connectors. They are located on the top of the fuel pump which is in the middle of the gas tank on top.
Old January 1st, 2008, 7:15 PM
Tim
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2003 Express Van Conversion by Southern Comfort-start problem

I also have a 2003 chevy express, mine is a 2500, with exactly the same problem. As a service tech I must start my truck maybe 20 or more times a day. Half of those times nothing will happen except the dashboard lights and sensors will come indicating all the electricals are fine. If I wait a couple of minutes it will start as if there never were a problem. I don't think it could be a ground problem since the radio and headlights work fine.
Whenever I come across anyone getting in or out of their van (usually a service tech of some sort) I ask if they have had similar problems, one man said yes and the dealer replaced the computer to the tune of about $400.00 and it solved his problem.
I will be taking mine to the dealer soon and will post if it solves my problem as well.