Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2004 Express shut off randomly

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2020, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Express shut off randomly

Salutations,

Van has 235k on the engine and trans. After changing crankshaft position sensor and passenger side oxygen sensors, I took it for a test drive. Drove great, seemed peppy, ready to run; no problems. Stopped at a store, went to leave, and got a mile from home when the engine fell on it's face, sounded sick, barely pulled to the side of the road and lost fire. Tried to re-start and it wouldn't catch. Had it towed home and started hunting for issues. Next day; van would start but sputter and die after a few seconds. Repeat, repeat. Checked fuel pressure at Schrader valve; 62lbs at key-up, 58 at prime, 55 cold running and down to 51-52 at warm idle. Fuel filter is clear, no problem blowing through it. Removed the plenum to check the injector and I do not see any obvious leakage. Ignition coil tests good. Started the van today and it ran and didn't try to shut down, so I'm scratching my head. Only code showing right now is where I have the MAP unplugged.

Thoughts on what to check next or anyone else had this similar experience? I appreciate any constructive insights that are shared. Cheers!
Old September 25th, 2020, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - I changed the fuel injector spider, and now the van won't start at all, just cranks over. The fuel pressures have dropped a bit though; about 58 when priming, 53-54 when primed. I would like to check the voltage and ground to the pump, but I am not sure how to. Can anyone help instruct me on this procedure?

Thank You!