Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 chevy express starting problem please help

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 chevy express starting problem please help

i have a 2005 chevy express 1500 v6. the previous owner had the crankshaft position sensor replacced when i bought it, but the check engine light is still on and it starts rough when could and requires a few cranks, but once its been fired in the AM it starts pretty good the rest of the day. the code says crankshaft sensor error but it has a new one in it! this morning i go to start it and there is nothing. battery power is fine but when i attempt to crank it the starter has zero activity. any help is appreciated!
Old June 10th, 2010, 9:03 AM
CF Beginner

Try jump startin it to eliminate a battery problem you may have several problems possible a starter. Was the crankshaft sensor an a/c delco if not spend a few more bucks for a good part. A bad crank sensor won't cause the engine not to rotate good luck.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

yes i used an ac delco part! got thew thing to start with a jump, thanks! i got the code read and am gettin P0016....that the CMP and the CKP arent reading right?
Old June 11th, 2010, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A code never tell you what is wrong, only what is being effected. A broken wire to the sensor could cause it along with many other things. There is a entire series of test for every code. Below is a list of all possibilities.

DTC P0016

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) supplies a 12-volt reference circuit and a low reference circuit to both the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor and the camshaft position (CMP) sensor. The CKP sensor sends a signal to the PCM with each revolution of the crankshaft. The CMP sensor sends a signal to the PCM with each revolution of the camshaft. This DTC monitors the CKP signal and the CMP signal to determine if they are synchronized. If both signals are not observed by the PCM within a narrow period of time, the PCM will determine that an error has occurred and DTC P0016 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0016 Crankshaft Position (CKP) - Camshaft Position (CMP) Correlation

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The engine is running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
When the engine is running, the cam sensor pulse is not detected at the correct relative position to the CKP sensor pulse.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
Inspect for the following items:

A loose or missing distributor hold down bolt
A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
An incorrectly installed distributor-One tooth off in either Advance or Retard positions
A loose distributor rotor on the distributor shaft
Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly