Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2005 Express- Confusing Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2016, 10:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2005 Express- Confusing Brake noise

Hey All- Thanks for any help.

I have this annoying noise, that I mostly hear at low speeds where the noise can bounce off nearby buildings on the sidewalk... Its like a very faint squeel-grind that I immediately though was " Warped rotors" AKA high spots from metal deposits... The important thing is that when I press the brakes, the sound immediately ceases. In general the brakes feel fine, no pulsing or anything, except for extreme braking coming down mountain roads. The pads and rotors are a bit over 2 years old. Upon inspection the rotors look clean and shiney.. and there is plenty of pad left.... nothing glaringly obvious. They might have 50k on them and that would be a very high estimation.

That said, I had the same exact symptoms 2 years back before I put this set on, when was getting AWFUL... ( and the rotors looked trashed) and of course the noises went away immediately. So the question really is... Is there a fix? Perhaps a good brake cleaner soaking to clean them up? Or am i looking at new pads and rotors all over again.

Any insight would be great! Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your slide pins and the clips that hold the pads in to see if the inner pad is dragging while not braking..... Don't spray brake cleaner direct on the pads..... If you do remove everything, look for more wear on the inner pad than outer....also the inner rotor surface that you can only see with the wheel/caliper off.....
Use a good anti squeal brake grease on the reassemble.....
Old August 7th, 2016, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Turns out the problem was hidden. Both inside rear pads were toast, while the outsides were fine. Last place i looked!
Old August 7th, 2016, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Then you have a problem to find. Is the rotor surface on the inside worse than the outer? Is the caliper floating properly? Don't just throw new pads in there......