Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2008 Express G3500 Engine Knocking

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2012, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Express G3500 Engine Knocking

Hello every1! New guy here. Just got another project dumped on me that I did not need or want. Way to many irons in the fire. I did a lot of searching but didn't come up with much for vans. Apologize if these things have been covered many a times...

Looking for a little advice since I have not worked on a van in 10 years. I'm trying to get things setup for when I get some other projects finished and get space in the garage for it. I'm planning for the worst and trying to have a backup engine in case this one is not rebuild-able. I do not have much history on this van other than its an 08 with a ton of miles. Tranny was rebuilt around 50k ago and engine has a knock to it. I don't have the room to lift the chassis off the frame, so I was wondering what all is involved in dropping it out of the bottom? Is that even possible?

From what I gathered, I think I have the Gen IV LY6 block. 6.0L gasser auto. I'm looking for a good running engine if any1 has one for sale.

In the mean time, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if this thing disappeared from my property if someone is looking for a really nice work van Power everything minus seats, keyless, Stabilitrak, CD, rear heat/air and setup for 4 rows of rear seating but no seats. Just curious what this thing is roughly worth with a bad engine. It books for 12k with the miles, 18k without the high miles. Around 6k rough trade in, all are nada values. I would post a link to my craigslist add to see pictures but I don't want this post to come off as a for sale add. Just curious what its worth incase I never get to fixing it.

As always thx in advance for any info...

Last edited by tharepairguy; January 22nd, 2012 at 2:17 PM.