Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2015 Chevy Express 3500 Backup Camera Dim

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2018, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Chevy Express 3500 Backup Camera Dim

My 2016 Roadtrek 210 Class B motorhome is built on a 2015 Chey Express 3500 chassis. The backup camera is part of the original chassis. The image from the backup camera is not very bright and virtually useless in dim light. The dash display screen is bright enough for all of its other functions. Is there a problem with my camera, or is there a brighter one that I can install in its place? I'm used to the very vivid, clear, and bright resolution on my 2012 Platinum F-150.
Old September 8th, 2018, 7:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know much about the stock camera, but some use a ring of infrared LEDs for use after dark. These may be not working. But it also may have other issues, if it's dim all the time. Any thought of warranty?
Old September 8th, 2018, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera - Plan "B" . . . and Plan "C"

Thanks, StanVan. I contacted Chevy Warranty Service, and they recommended that I contact my local Chevy dealer which I was going to do anyway.

The interior light dimmer does affect the brightness of the backup screen, but at its brightest, it looks like dusk, and it gets worse the darker it gets outside.

In the online discussion groups, more people were complaining about the backup screen being too bright on their GM trucks.

I've purchased a foot-long LED light bar to tap into the running light wiring of the receiver hitch.

Since this wiring will be energized whenever the switch for the running lights is on, I've ordered a wireless remote on/off switch, so that I can cut the power to the light bar when I'm just cruising down the road at night.

I've also ordered a wireless backup camera that connects via wifi or Bluetooth to an iPhone, iPad, Android device, etc. in case the light bar doesn't improve the images from the stock camera.