Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2015 Express Unexplained Non Starting

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2020, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 Express Unexplained Non Starting

This Van, with the 6.0, has been a great engine. . On two occasions, it would be dead when I turned the key, but if removed the key, moved the wheel, it started right up.
Today it has done some strange things:

First wouldn’t start, like above, no clicking, anything, dead silence. I did the wheel twist, and it fired off, but I had a Service Air Bag Message. I pulled it to Drive and stepped on the gas - snd it set there....then it should down and has not restarted.l

The battery is fully charged, but totally not starting, no starter failure sound. I looked in the Chevy Manual at the Fuses for it, and under Relays at #15 shows Run/Crank. Then #39 shows Crank, while 49 shows Powertrain.

Hoping someone can give me some idea about this whole thing. The Service Air Bag is totally new, but the failed starting has a past on this engine.

It only has 18K miles....I bought it new, as a Roadtrek 210 Campervan. Since buying, I have had heart problems, so that is the reason for low mileage. I have a Chevy Dealer doing the LOF’s & Tire Rotation.

Any insight you can give me would sure be appreciated.

Ron

Old July 29th, 2020, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Ron

Not sure when you talk about turning the wheel... do you mean turning the steering wheel ?
Is it harsh or difficult to turn the key ? You always have to turn the steering wheel to allow the key to move ?
The first thing that comes to mind is a faulty key ignition switch.

https://www.autorepairmountainviewca...tion-signs.php
This is generic info not specific to your Roadtrek but it still apply.

Most likely your Roadtrek is powered by a an Express/Savana and ignition switch are known to be failure prone on these.

Last edited by pomerlo; July 29th, 2020 at 9:24 AM.
Old July 29th, 2020, 2:56 PM
CF Beginner

I was referring to the steering wheel. There was no problem turning the key, just dead silence, and the “Service Air Bag” message. As I mentioned, it finally turned over, but reflecting, slowly engaging. When it was running, I shifted into Drive and pushed down on the gas....it set there....then shut down.

I did have an instance of this non-start in October ‘19, but a twist of the wheel and it run. A friend who has a shop in town said that his recommendation was to bench test the Starter.....and I didn’t follow up! Due to age & health, I don’t really fool with the under the hood stuff any longer. I have a call into that friend with a garage, to see if they can handle it, I also have to contend with how to get a tow truck to back down the hill, ****** it from under a carport, and get back up, for he sure is going off the blacktop to come up with it on board. Thanks, I will keep you posted when things happen. Really appreciate this a Forum, I read a lot of good info, things I can often pass on to another Express Owner

Ron
Old August 14th, 2020, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

I had it taken to a Chevy Dealer last Saturday morning. They tell me they are short staffed by this COVID and they have a number of cars....awaiting various parts. All they can say is it is in the Rotation to be looked at and repaired. This is the first I hav3 heard of Dealers being short staffed, and hard to get parts....Service is their bread & butter.

Last edited by Lakeman 903; September 8th, 2020 at 4:20 PM. Reason: UPDATE: As of 8 Sep, it still is at the Chevy.
Old September 14th, 2020, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE - Received the Van back from Chevy on Friday evening the 11th. It was the Powertrain Command Module that failed. Glad this is over....and it is rolling again. Ron
Old September 14th, 2020, 8:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the update