Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2017 Express Cargo Van Headliner Rattle

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2022, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Express Cargo Van Headliner Rattle

Hi all, I have a 2017 Chevy Express Cargo Van. This is a work van for me and was recently purchased. I’ve noticed an incredibly loud and annoying rattle coming from the headliner area in the cockpit. It only happens when I’m going above 45mph and after the van has been sitting in the sun for a while (never happens on the interstate in the morning after the van has sat overnight).

I took the headliner down today, at least at the back part of it because it sounded like a wiring harness or something slapping against the roof of the van. I didn’t see anything flopping around up there so I am a bit stumped. I do have a ladder rack on the roof with two ladders strapped down but the straps are tight and no flopping ends on either one.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! This rattle is insanely loud!
Old September 3rd, 2022, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

did you try driving around with the headliner removed to see if noise persists?
Old September 3rd, 2022, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
did you try driving around with the headliner removed to see if noise persists?
I removed the clips and visors from the headliner and let it rest on the seats, so it was essentially just hanging there, and then took it for a drive. The noise was still there and I didn’t see any wiring harnesses or anything that would be causing the rattle. I didn’t want to remove it fully because the wiring to the dome light was glued onto the headliner. I figured that would cause more problems if I removed the glue.

I also took both ladders off the rack thinking they might be loose enough to cause the rattle but no luck there. I’m still stumped.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 6:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 660 Likes on 599 Posts

You don't need to remove any glue. The harness was glued in before the headliner was installed in the van. You unplug it at the A-pillar.

Maybe when you get going fast enough, air pressure lifts/rattles the roof skin against the cross ribs. Try stuffing some shims up there

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; September 3rd, 2022 at 11:30 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2022, 10:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The speed requirement points to something outside the van. If it was inside under the sheetmetal it would happen at any speed.
Old September 4th, 2022, 4:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Now that I think about it, these are notorious for the top corners of the windshield weatherstrip coming loose, although I've never heard of one flapping enough to make noise before. But it would fit both the speed requirement and the warmth requirement - and maybe not immediately be obvious.

If you had a GoPro with a good suction cup mount you could when the van is making the noise put it on the roof and record a minute or two and see if you can see anything moving.