Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

3500 extended Suspension quality

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2020, 6:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 extended Suspension quality

Advice please!
I am most of the way through my campervan conversion, and have road tested it with the MaxxFan Delux and bed in situ. However, the ride over bumps isn't great, and the fan rattles badly when going over potholes, etc.
Is there a well recommended swop out kit readily available from Bistein, etc, to improve handling? Roads over here in the UK are pretty horrendous when in lanes and off motorways. I don't want to change the ride height at all, just a better ride quality.
Old July 14th, 2020, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

can you be more specific? What exactly "isn't great", and what part of the handling needs to be "improved"?
Does it sway side-to-side too much? bounce? bump-steer? shock+vibration? is it too stiff?

These vans are build for service rather than luxury (especially the 1ton), but things that make the biggest impact are tires (size, aspect ratio, application, inflation), putting some good fresh new shocks on, keeping things in good mechanical shape (suspension bushings etc.), and weight distribution. As for the rattles, tighten down whatever is rattling.
Old July 20th, 2020, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I live in Canterbury in Kent, I've just been down the same path as you with my 2010 Express. The rattles and bangs in these van are unpleasant to say the least! Even though mine is running on 20" wheels Ive now got it behaving better. First thing I did was adjust all the doors, you want them to close tight, but not stupidly tight.
I also traced all the rattles from the aftermarket equipment installed by the conversion company. I found being mostly an empty box any rattle or squeak was exacerbated. This took a fair bit of trial and error, one of the main noises turned out to be from my secondary A/C ducting pipe work.
Finally I installed some cheap KYB shocks from Rockauto. They sent them to the UK in 3 days. They're only the light duty ones, but for me they softened the vans ride on bad B roads.
I must stress the van isn't perfect but it is now a pleasure to drive rather than a bang box.
​​​