Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

3500 rear wheel, wheel stud replacment

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2020, 12:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3500 rear wheel, wheel stud replacment

I need to replace the wheel studs on the rear wheel of a 2003 3500 Express purchased used.
After removing the caliper, caliper bracket and rotor I find there is no space to drive out or insert a new wheel stud.
The GM manual (GMT/03-G6-1) describes removing the axle to get access to the wheel studs.

Page 4-139 illustrations do not look like my 3500 which has a "can", that seems to be the bearing cup(?), sitting on and an integral part of the hub. It describes going into the rear differential to remove a rear axle shaft lock, which is a horse shoe clip.

Page 4-144 shows the "can" and addresses replacing the rear axle shaft and says nothing about accessing the differential to remove a rear axle shaft lock - clip. But the procedure does not look like it removes the hub with the wheel studs in it.

Can someone clarify?
Old September 22nd, 2020, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I think you are dealing with a full floating rear axle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5%2...t_Differential
Old September 23rd, 2020, 10:32 AM
CF Active Member

Default rear axle shaft and rear axle hub

Thank you for the reference to a floating rear axle.
Looking up rear axle work I found info that depicts what I have on pages 4-144, 4-145.
Not looking like something I want to do in a gravel driveway.

Has anyone found a good independent repair shop that works on these larger vans in the Arlington, VA area?
Old September 23rd, 2020, 3:03 PM
CF Active Member

Default remove rear wheel floating axle hub

A floating rear axle is new to me. Looking into it I have the concept but not the detail.

Looking at Rear Axle Hub ... Replacement; Vol 1, GMT/03-G6-1; pg 4-145.

Do I understand correctly that the rear wheel hub and all attached to it is held on by an "adjusting nut" plus the key and retaining ring?
And the oil seal is acting the same as a cam seal?
Are the bearings lubricated by oil splashing up off the differential, coming out the end of the axle and back-washing the bearings?
Old September 23rd, 2020, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

I would watch a few of these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ar+hub+removal

I haven't had the rear hubs off my 2004 so I don't know the ins and outs first hand.
Old September 23rd, 2020, 9:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 94 Likes on 83 Posts

Take off the wheel center cap and see if there is a big bearing hub sticking out of there or if it's mostly flat. GM put semi-float axles in some 3500's including mine. Of course I'd say you can do either in your driveway because I've done both on the side of the road/trail before. Just make sure you have some good jack stands and the right special socket.
The following users liked this post:
chevyboy@22 (October 17th, 2020)
Old September 24th, 2020, 6:19 PM
CF Active Member

I have heard that the 2003/2004 rear axles are a DANA Super 70 (Mine has a 70S sticker on the left axle tube and 12 bolts on the rear cover) which is a full floater. If you do pull your rear axles please count the splines and report back.
Old October 17th, 2020, 6:51 PM
CF Active Member

Default update - chase wheel stud threads

I have concluded the rear end is a full floating rear axle that is described on page 4-144.
I got lost with the different axle types on different Express models.
The repair manual did not make that leap in the index for replacing wheel studs.

I reconsidered replacing the wheel studs and opting to chase the threads first.
Using a M14x1.5 "chasing" die I went over all the wheel studs.
The wheel lugs were compromised and were replaced.

Now I have to get over the concern that the chased wheel studs are not as strong or will not hold the wheel lugs as well.
I am more confident that the studs are strong enough since they were not bent, than I am the threads are not compromised.
So that leaves me with new lug nuts that I have torqued and painted a line on, from lug to wheel, to show if they start to turn.
Old October 17th, 2020, 10:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take off the wheel center cap and see if there is a big bearing hub sticking out of there or if it's mostly flat. GM put semi-float axles in some 3500's
Old October 17th, 2020, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

that's news to me. never seen a semi-floating axle in a 3500. it is not designed to handle the weight.

Quick Reply: 3500 rear wheel, wheel stud replacment