Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

4L80E TRANSMISSION TEMP and Engine OIL

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2015, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E TRANSMISSION TEMP and Engine OIL

Hello Guys,

I installed tranny oil gauge, and engine oil gauge in my 04 express van as used it for towing in the past. Lately i have been seeing higher transmission oil temps. I have put the sensor on the output line of the 4L80E that goes to the radiator,and then i have a filter on it (spin on type), and then from there i have it ported to the transmission cooler which is in front of the AC condenser. The line coming off the transmission cooler then hooks up to the return line to the transmission.
My gauge is showing me a temp of 200, 210 on the output side after it comes out of the torque converter, and the pan i measured with an infrared gun, and the temperature was at 175, which is good....However with an aftermarket cooler i am getting a 35 degree drop however i would like to see lower temps, as it gets hotter on hot days and when towing.....any suggestions??? I know heat, kills transmissions, and i don't like the fact that the fluid is hitting the 210 mark.

Now my engine oil floats between 180 and 195 which is ok with the cooler.

I recently changed my antifreeze, and my cousin didnt measure out the amount, causing my engine to hover in the 220 range... but even when the engine was running at lower temps (ie, 210, 200), i was still getting 210 tranny temps on output side.

Is this normal for the 4L80E.....any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking about adding a cooler with a fan on it
Old July 30th, 2015, 10:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Tru-Cool 40k tranny cooler in to my van in line with the factory "cooler" (radiator) According to the OBD Tranny temp output, it hovers right around 180 when I am towing. I also have a thermal bypass that came with the cooler since I am in a cold climate. If I ditched that bypass, I would have much lower temps, but the bypass doesn't fully open until 180 degrees IIRC.

Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Max LPD4739 4739 40,000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass: Automotive Amazon.com: Tru-Cool Max LPD4739 4739 40,000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass: Automotive